Gloves Didn't Help At All

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinemartin

tightwad
Reaction score
I was finishing up a job for a customer and was about done when I had a little stick behind the log that kept jamming up my chain sooo I reached down grabbed the stick broke it off threw it behind me and with a lapse in judgment started back into the cut as I was reaching for the top handle, all the sudden the saw kicked back into my hand. Ouch but at least it hit my hand instead of my face as saw ended up over my shoulder sticking bar first in the dirt. I was wondering if anyone makes a chainsaw proof glove that I could add to my PPE line up, was prepared for everything else with chaps, steel toe boots, helmet, and sleeves but just regular leather gloves. enclosed are pictures before I went to go get stitched up, the end result was 7 stitches in my middle finger and 22 stitches a severed tendon and 80% of my knuckle gone in my ring finger. Anyway just thought I would share my mistake with everyone and let them know that it can happen to anyone at any time so be careful and cut safe. The saw was a woods ported jonsered 670 tacked at 13500 rpms turning a freshly sharpened stihl RSC chain. PS pictures are pretty bad so look with caution...

Gloves are not the problem, if you were going to take your hands off the saw and reach for something you should have put the chain brake on, or turned the saw off. Sorry for your injury and hope you recover.

hind sight is always 20/20, probably hundreds of things I could have done differently but I can't change anything now. It was a dumb ass mistake made in the heat of the moment where time is money clouded my judgement. I know what I did was wrong and stupid so this post was a reminder to everyone that safety should come first so please do not attack me as I already feel bad enough both mentaly ang physicaly.

I wasn't attacking you bro... I was trying to say 'been-there-done-that'.

I got the scars to prove it! It's good that you posted this as a reminder.:)

:cheers:

Not fussing or flaming either, but it would be the wrong way of thinking to say that getting chainsaw proof gloves would prevent the accident. PPE is meant to protect the user to a degree but nothing can stop an accident because of poor judgement. :(

I thought it would be worse than that. Tis but a scratch, all things considered.

Thanks for posting this up.

Google: Chainsaw safe gloves

.....and shop to your hearts and hands content.

However, I agree that this shouldn't embolden you and that the gloves were not the problem. More could have happened much worse...but I know you already know that.

But obviously they would come in handy (no pun intended) for future accidents.

I'm needing another pair so thanks again for the reminder. :)

Not fussing or flaming either, but it would be the wrong way of thinking to say that getting chainsaw proof gloves would prevent the accident. PPE is meant to protect the user to a degree but nothing can stop an accident because of poor judgement. :(

Right, but they would minimize the impact and judging from the wounds, perhaps might have just ruined the gloves.

We need to do what we can...I totally agree...judgement being paramount.

Last edited by a moderator:
hind sight is always 20/20, probably hundreds of things I could have done differently but I can't change anything now. It was a dumb ass mistake made in the heat of the moment where time is money clouded my judgement. I know what I did was wrong and stupid so this post was a reminder to everyone that safety should come first so please do not attack me as I already feel bad enough both mentaly ang physicaly.
At least you are still around to post here!lol.I have cut myself sharpening chain and that's it, but came very close to what you did last week but no blood, at the last minute I decided I should shut the saw off. After seeing the pic's you posted I hope it will stick in other users minds to shut the saw off!

Sorry it bit you but gloves never wear them even chipping black jack.
My hands are similar to leather now though and I wander how much
protection do we need for ourselves anyway? Maybe we just need a
bear proof suit or something! I did not even have chaps when I
started but never cut my leg. I do have four stiches from changing
chipper blades with under rated ratchet and cheater pipe, dern
thing spit out at me and hit me above the eye split my brow!
What did I learn? I learned inferior tools will whoop yer azz :laugh:

Last edited:
Does anybody have a story about chainsaw safe gloves saving them in some way? I have no experience with them, but if they work like some chainsaw safe clothes, it would be by sacrificing bundles of fibres and jamming the saw.

Sounds like something that would bind your hand in tighter and maybe do more damage elsewhere.

I have a bunch of glove catalogs, and they list kevlar and steel mesh gloves for butchers and other hazardous jobs, but none of the ones I have seen list chainsaws. Then again, I havn't looked either.

Sorry about the hand! There goes that hand model contract, eh? I can't wear the Bailey's glove, too small in size large. Try the other online sources or just google the appopriate words. (PS Make sure you watch Monty Python and the Holy Grail while you are recovering)

When I was a kid working on the ranch the old cowboys always said never hire anyone who wore gloves, smoked Bull Durham, or wore lace up boots. That was because they would always be putting on or taking off their gloves, rolling a smoke or tieing their boots. Gloves were OK for fence work and roping but that was it. I never listened and wear gloves quite a bit.

Last edited:

Yep bummer. Thanks for taking the time to post. You just might help some other one of us, from doing the same thing. She'll heal up and consider yourself lucky. Could have been a whole lot worse. Us humans are actually quite tender little mamals. :cheers:

three days later some swelling and verrrry sore. Checking on chainsaw proof glove options and have found only bad reviews for them, mostly people saying that leather does just as good with 1/4th the cost ???.:( anyway here is the healing/after doctor pictures. enjoy

Sorry about the hand! There goes that hand model contract, eh? I can't wear the Bailey's glove, too small in size large. Try the other online sources or just google the appopriate words. (PS Make sure you watch Monty Python and the Holy Grail while you are recovering)

When I was a kid working on the ranch the old cowboys always said never hire anyone who wore gloves, smoked Bull Durham, or wore lace up boots. That was because they would always be putting on or taking off their gloves, rolling a smoke or tieing their boots. Gloves were OK for fence work and roping but that was it. I never listened and wear gloves quite a bit.
The Monty Python comment made me spit my beer on the key board,since I have to look down to type!

Did something real simuler(spelling) to my middle finger on my left hand about two years ago. Chain was dull and I was being carless and stuck the tip of my bar into the butt end of a log. took the top off of the top knuckle, severed the tendon. Anyhow, after that I have worn the Baileys protective gloves, I have never had that happen again(and hope it never does). They seem to be of excellent quality, I have used them hard, cutting and just handling firewood. Hope that helps you, get well soon. Ryan

Those are some nasty lookin' pics. Glad you're ok. Just earlier today I bumped my knuckle with a 200T in little apple tree pruning job. Not that bad but she leaked a good bit o' red stuff. Funny thing is, my buddy asked if I wanted gloves before I went up. Guess I shoulda said yes. Did the doctor warn you about infection problems from the b/c oil that I should be worried about now?

Latest posts

Back