Gloves for tending my fire.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damifino

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
When I tend to my fire in my wood burner I use welders gloves that come up to the middle of my forearm and love the protection I get from the fire. Does anybody know of thick leather (welder type) gloves that go up to the elbow.

Thanks

Not sure if you'll find a glove that goes to the elbow but a leather welding jacket should do the trick. Combine that with the gloves then your hole arm and upper body are protected to a certain degree. Like the gloves you're already wearing it wont make you invincible but will keep some of the heat off your arms.

Might be worth wandering through your local welding supply shop, they should stock gloves in various lengths, jackets and lots of other stuff you may decide you cant live with out :)

What?? DOnt you like walking around with scarred forearms??

I burn myself too much, but now I notice who has a woodstove when I meet people:clap:

You sort of get used to the pain, and learn to move your hand fast enough out of hot areas. I have a pair of kevlar fire gloves that are excellent, although they only go up a bit past the wrist. Personally I like gloves that I can get off my hands quickly and easily. After years of working in foundries and heat treat I have little fear and large respect for fire.

Check out McMaster-Carr. They sell welding gloves in a variety of lengths as well as foundry gloves. I was toying with the idea of getting a pair of zetex gloves (1500 degrees F!) to see if I could actually grab splits and move them around by hand. They're a little pricey though.

Most of the time I use a steel poker to work hot wood but with my welder gloves it is common for me to pick up orange hot wood and move it where I want it. My welders gloves cost $8.00 at Tractor Supply. Thanks for your helpful suggestions.

You know that is the only downside to wood burning, burning oneself. Every season I am sporting at least two or three burns to my arms. Either I drank to much beer and little off coordinated, or I just have to try to get that last piece of wood in I KNOW will fit in the firebox.

LOL. My scars are badges of honor! :)

Tes

I have the FlameX gloves from North Line Express. They also have a 20" glove that I am also thinking on purchasing.

The welding gloves I have work well for putting wood in, but the FlameX works for moving buring stuff around. Which is needed when you put a piece in that is a tad to long to fit. When you are doing the quick dash with a burning piece of wood you need good gloves. :eek:

I use welding gloves also, still have about half a dozen marks on my upper forearm and bicep :censored: but I think it all comes down to being more careful. My burns come from bumping the hot steel while loading the stove and they could all have been prevented if I was paying attention.

Quick note: As you all may know, holding the burn under cold running water for a while will pretty much eliminate the burning. All you will have left is the mark for a month or 2.

You know that is the only downside to wood burning, burning oneself. Every season I am sporting at least two or three burns to my arms. Either I drank to much beer and little off coordinated, or I just have to try to get that last piece of wood in I KNOW will fit in the firebox.

LOL. My scars are badges of honor! :)

Tes
Here I thought I was the only one!

Latest posts

Back