Gloves or not?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I grew up poor and never wore anything besides homemade mittens till the age of like 12, I was stacking wood for a neighbor and he gave me a pair of used leather gloves, I think I wore them for two or three years! Now I keep several extra pairs in all my vehicles and shops and would not think of working without them.

I usually where gloves for all but the most casual jobs around the yard and woods. I've even gotten to liking the Mechanix gloves working on the truck...took me years, maybe its me getting older and usually I'm working in cooler weather. And I throw on rubber gloves when degreasing and such stuff.

Only leather gloves I like the fit of today are Kincos, I buy them at the Working Gear chain...45 minute trip to my nearest one.

Did have a bum one today, opened the last new pair I bought last fall, and within two hours had a hole by the thumb and palm :cry:

When chainsawing, I usually where either Stihl Anti-vibe gloves or winter insulated Kincos. If I don't and I haven't run small equipment in a few months, my hands swell up afterwards. It goes down later, but I gotta figure that's my body trying to tell me something!

BTW Lowes sells 3 pack of leather-ish gloves for 5.99= 2 bucks a pair, now when the right index and middle finger get holes in them I dont feel guilty throwing them away. I save the nice $15 gloves for non-wood work.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_184240-7674...|1&masthead=true&selectedLocalStoreBeanArray=[com.lowes.commerce.storelocator.beans.LocatorStoreBean@36d2d7c7,+com.lowes.commerce.storelocator.beans.LocatorStoreBean@4b7417c7,+com.lowes.commerce.storelocator.beans.LocatorStoreBean@4b5597c7,+com.lowes.commerce.storelocator.beans.LocatorStoreBean@4b3597c7,+com.lowes.commerce.storelocator.beans.LocatorStoreBean@4b1597c7]&langId=-1&langId=-1&Ntt=gloves&URL=TopCategoriesDisplayView&firstReferURL=http://www.lowes.com/pl__0__s%3FNs%3Dp_product_price|1%26Ntt%3Dgloves%26Ntk%3Di_products%26rpp%3D60&Ntk=i_products&zipCode=93536&isQvSearch=searchQV&mastheadURL=TopCategoriesDisplayView&findStoreErrorURL=StoreLocatorDisplayView&productId=3111013&catalogId=10051&catalogId=10051&NttParam=&storeId=10151&storeId=10151&qvRedirect=/pd_184240-76744-LO9131_0_%3FproductId%3D3111013%26Ntt%3Dgloves%26Ntk%3Di_products%26Ns%3Dp_product_price|1&ddkey=http:TopCategoriesDisplay

Last edited:
growing up I never wor gloves, then i got into scrapping and started wearing them after I tore my hands up on some sharp sheet metal. Now I ALWAYS wear gloves weather it be scrapping, digging a hole for a fence post, stacking wood, cutting wood, etc. My preferences are Mechanix and Leather gloves. Leather for working with wood and Mechainx for the other stuff. I have probably 6 pair of each floating around at any given time.

Jeff

I should be clear my digit injuries had nothing to do with cutting wood, but..............

you see where I'm coming from.

Good point about the wedding ring. I don't wear mine either, for the same reasons. Occaisionally I'll throw it on if we are going out to dinner or whatever. No objection from my wife, especially after she had to drive me to the hospital and had to sit there while the orthopedic surgeon discussed whether or not they could re-attach the end of my finger. :mad:

I work full time with sheet metal if I wore my wedding band my finger would have been gone years ago ! a couple years ago I had a band tattood on my finger !
MD

I've never been able to stand wearing gloves . To Me even the thinnest gloves feel like oven mitts . As far as wearing any type of jewelry ,or even a watch ,I don't do that either .

Gloves always now. Chainsawing : the Youngstown Kevlars. Working wood--clearing, splitting, stacking--leather.

There's a NO JEWELRY rule for us . Why ?
1. Working around current such as welding and batteries, the metal--watch, ring, necklace-- can be a strong, very strong conductor. Literally welding the metal to you when it makes the connection. No joke.
2. Anyone remember "duece and halfs" transports in mil training ? Those metal brackets on the sides are used for balance when jumping the 6+ feet down to the ground. Sharp edges and tops. Too often a guy's ring would catch on the top of the bracket as he was jumping off the rig. Ring and skin stayed on the metal.

No jewelry: climbing, chainsawing, splitting, ANY tool use.

P.S I do like the mention of distaste of some women for hard, callused hands. Never thought much about it until now. Nice thought. We learn.

i cant wear gloves while running a saw, i feel like i dont have as much control over the machine and my grip is not as good as it is with bare hands
when loading wood and dragging brush away, ill usually put gloves on if i remember or have a pair that isnt soaked

Latest posts

Back