Gloves

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thejdman04

thejdman04

Addicted to ArboristSite
I dont know if this is the right forum, if not I am sorry. Just wondering what kind of gloves you guys wear for sawing, splitting, etc. I normally wear leather, or deerskin gloves but they only seem to last about a week before I have a hole in them. I have also tried sued, those black "mechanics" gloves etc, again only to last a week or 2. Now I know lots of you will probably say no gloves, but I usually have a pair of gloves on. What do you wear, what works for you?

City Slicker

City Slicker

ArboristSite Operative
Gloves?

I cut wearing a pair of Kinco's - Bailey's sells them and very warm. The fingers can get a little thin when splitting in cold weather. For temps around 30 degrees, I really like the Boss Flexi-grip gloves sold at Menards for around $2.50 - everytime I go in there I look to see if they are on sale.

biggen0_8

biggen0_8

ArboristSite Member
I have had excellent luck with Ansell Hyflex 10 11-500 kevlar gloves with a nearly indestructible foam front with terrific grip.

HyFlex CR 11-500 foam-nitrile-dipped, with fine-gauge KEVLAR® stretch liner/

I use a pair quite similar, only they are grey instead of yellow. They have good grip and wear very well, but aren't the warmest in cold weather

Edmccabe

Edmccabe

ArboristSite Member
On beautiful Stump Pond in Smithfield, RI
Bigen;

I agree but have been comfortable working down to about to about 18 degrees so far. I bought a 1/2 dozen on line for just over $4/per to see if they would work out as I lost my source for kevlar seconds. The pair I have been wearing for the past three weeks are like new!

These are great gloves to work with - but are not warm or waterproof.

Ed

WAPITI39

WAPITI39

ArboristSite Lurker
I purchase mine at a farm and garden supply store called D&B Supply here in Idaho(not sure where they are all located) and they usually run 25-30 bucks a pair.

Metals406

Metals406

Granfodder Runningsaw
I purchase mine at a farm and garden supply store called D&B Supply here in Idaho(not sure where they are all located) and they usually run 25-30 bucks a pair.

That's what I figured... They don't give elk hide away! Well, unless you trade it to Pacific Hide and Fir... They'll give you a couple pair of crappy leather gloves in trade. :dizzy:

25 to 30 bucks a pair for gloves is steep. :jawdrop:

660grizzman

660grizzman

ArboristSite Lurker
If you are looking for a great pair of elk skin gloves try www.yellowstonegloves.com. We usually buy 400-500 pair of the 549E a year to give to our customers and they love them. I put up around 5-6 cords each summer and these gloves last with out a problem. We get them at a discounted price, but I have bought them at the feed store for around $19 in the past.

RuralCruiser007

RuralCruiser007

ArboristSite Member
I usually go through gloves like no one business. During warmer weather I usually just don't worry about gloves. With the cooler weather, down to about 10 F I wear plain leather work gloves. I about a week I have worn out two fingers in each glove. I just came across some Carhartt gloves that may make the difference with me. http://www.carhartt.com/webapp/wcs/...10101&storeId=10051&productId=32042&langId=-1

These seem to be holding out so far, but Mother Nature is having some fun right now and temps have really dropped. So I am using some thinsulate gloves that will be done in short order.

vwboomer

vwboomer

ArboristSite Operative
The last two days it's been between 4 and 10f. I've spent about 4 hours each day splitting and stacking using regular cotton work gloves. Even when they get damp from the snow they never really got cold.
wanna stay warm? use an axe! :)

cityevader

cityevader

ArboristSite Operative
I'm a cheap-a$$ and am frequently needing new gloves. At the local hardware store I've tried many different types, and keep coming back the cheap-looking ones that are perhaps cotton gloves dipped in plastic/rubber. satisfactorily reduces the finger/thumb nails from splitting from wood impacts and provides good grip too.

Stihl051master

Stihl051master

ArboristSite Operative
I bought some of these the last time I was picking up some parts at the Stihl dealer. http://www.stihlusa.com/apparel/Work-gloves.html They were under $10.

This was in early summer. I treated the leather with some mink oil, and I've used them ever since when I'm running the saws, clearing brush (they stop the "pickers" really well), loading, unloading, and splitting wood. So far they've seen about 6 cords of wood and about an 1/8 mile of trail in junk so thick you literally cannot walk through it. Plus, a lot of just general work around the shop. They are dirty as hell now but they have yet to wear through anywhere and are hands down (pun intended) the best and longest lasting work gloves I've ever used. Sorry about the sales pitch but I've spent lots of money on different types of gloves from the mechanics ones to other leather and cotton ones and I get about a month out of them before they start wearing through. These I've had for 6.

Latest posts