GMC C6500 CLUTCH-Dealer says $8k to replace?? anybody have some insight?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

summit583guy

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Looking at buying a 2001 c6500 GMC with a cat motor and manual trans. The clutch seems to engage at the very end of the stroke ( the top) making me think it's worn out. I think these are self adjusting clutches that dont need to be adjusted. I called the GM dealer they quoted me $8k to replace, not sure if that was a rebuild kit or complete clutch ( includes labour/14 hrs). That seems really high? I havent bought the truck yet but im looking to see what it would cost if the clutch started slipping. thanks guys

Looking at buying a 2001 c6500 GMC with a cat motor and manual trans. The clutch seems to engage at the very end of the stroke ( the top) making me think it's worn out. I think these are self adjusting clutches that dont need to be adjusted. I called the GM dealer they quoted me $8k to replace, not sure if that was a rebuild kit or complete clutch ( includes labour/14 hrs). That seems really high? I havent bought the truck yet but im looking to see what it would cost if the clutch started slipping. thanks guys

GMC medium duty trucks are becoming very expensive to maintain, there is a reason they are cheap. In Colorado it is impossible to find parts and it took two weeks to get the clutch kit. When I needed a drive shaft, they had to build one for 2k. I literally called every dealer, shop and supplier in the area. I replaced the clutch myself and it took about 20 hrs so 14 hrs must be what the manual says. Parts and supplies are probably in the 2K range so their shop rate is around 428, high for down here, not sure about up there. The good news is that the trucks are fairly easy to work on, everything on the diesel will be heavier but the task is not insurmountable. I'm sure a couple GMC fan boys from the East coast will chime in, they appear to be holed up in the last bastion of GMC parts. In my experience, you can do the work yourself for a 1/4 of the dealer or shop prices, if you have the inclination. Bottom line, my next truck will not be a GMC. Best of luck.

Last edited:

Seems real high I'd call someone else. I don't think a clutch has ever cost me anything near that. And I have a 7500 they are self adjusting.

GMC medium duty trucks are becoming very expensive to maintain, there is a reason they are cheap. In Colorado it is impossible to find parts and it took two weeks to get the clutch kit. When I needed a drive shaft, they had to build one for 2k. I literally called every dealer, shop and supplier in the area. I replaced the clutch myself and it took about 20 hrs so 14 hrs must be what the manual says. Parts and supplies are probably in the 2K range so their shop rate is around 428, high for down here, not sure about up there. The good news is that the trucks are fairly easy to work on, everything on the diesel will be heavier but the task is not insurmountable. I'm sure a couple GMC fan boys from the East coast will chime in, they appear to be holed up in the last bastion of GMC parts. In my experience, you can do the work yourself for a 1/4 of the dealer or shop prices, if you have the inclination. Bottom line, my next truck will not be a GMC. Best of luck.

So with the price of parts and 14 hours I would expect a shop like he is talking about to be right around 4500 to 5000. 200 an hour is more than fair.

that sounds crazy high. Should be no more than $1500 in labor and a few grand in parts and that's TOPS. Call around.

Called the big rig shop that does all my work on my bucket after reading your posts. They said they could do it for $1200. Thats right I said $1200. Said the clutch should be about $400 in parts. If you just want parts to do it yourself, pm me and i will give you there contact info. I hope that dealer supplys lube with prices like that.

Last edited:
Called the big rig shop that does all my work on my bucket after reading your posts. They said they could do it for $1200. Thats right I said $1200. Said the clutch should be about $400 in parts. If you just want parts to do it yourself, pm me and i will give you there contact info. I hope that dealer supplys lube with prices like that.

That sounds a little more reasonable. I got a price of $1100 OR $1200 to do my IH clutch (if and when it ever needs it).

That sounds a little more reasonable. I got a price of $1100 OR $1200 to do my IH clutch (if and when it ever needs it).

new (not reman) clutch, pressure plate, pocket bearing, throwout bearing, resurface flywheel (a must), r&r pto and pump if needed for access, possible removal of exhaust for access, labor complete. 2000.00 max-worst case scenario-should be less.

They must want to put a new transmission in? Like my dealer last year on my 2500hd "somethings wrong with your transmission, we recommend a new gm one" GTFOH

I thought I was smoking ####e when I read the first post... I had my 97 7500 Asplundh clutch done for 1200 two years ago. I have the receipts too....

That price is retarded , I bought the clutch pack and throw out bearing for mine for about 600.00 , and really I put it in less then 3 hours , I coulda done it faster but it was lunch time LOL . Doesn't matter gas/diesel when it comes to trans work . They slap the same trans on the back

That price is retarded , I bought the clutch pack and throw out bearing for mine for about 600.00 , and really I put it in less then 3 hours , I coulda done it faster but it was lunch time LOL . Doesn't matter gas/diesel when it comes to trans work . They slap the same trans on the back

with mechanical knowledge and speedy work like that, you definately have a trade to fall back on if need be. LOL. ("just sayen")

with mechanical knowledge and speedy work like that, you definately have a trade to fall back on if need be. LOL. ("just sayen")

I and 2 other "mechanics" doin it with me ! I put In a throw out bearing 2 months ago in less then an hour , after I dropped the shaft and carrier bearing , but we have the trans jacks and a good shop , not some backyard bull#### here @ bucks LOL . Ya have too when you run olschool trucks !

I and 2 other "mechanics" doin it with me ! I put In a throw out bearing 2 months ago in less then an hour , after I dropped the shaft and carrier bearing , but we have the trans jacks and a good shop , not some backyard bull#### here @ bucks LOL . Ya have too when you run olschool trucks !

Ill have to snap a picture of my lift I bought it out of an old Mack dealer that went out of business.

They auctioned 3-4 of them off I paid like 3500 it says 30k on the side but I can only go up 5 feet do to ceiling height on the bucket. Beats being on a crawler. The crane is shorter I can almost stand.

The top 4-5 feet of the lift is in my attic we stuck the beam in between the trusses after slicing a 10 ft by 1.5 ft hole

Last edited:

You have any
chevy transmissions that would fit a 1997, 5 speed, 3500, mason dump, FWD?

Ill have to snap a picture of my lift I bought it out of an old Mack dealer that went out of business.

They auctioned 3-4 of them off I paid like 3500 it says 30k on the side but I can only go up 5 feet do to ceiling height on the bucket. Beats being on a crawler. The crane is shorter I can almost stand.

The top 4-5 feet of the lift is in my attic we stuck the beam in between the trusses after slicing a 10 ft by 1.5 ft hole

That truck lifts itself off the outriggers enough to almost sit up along side the trans , and the engine is not supported by the trans , so you need the pull the shaft and the bell housing bolts , you don't even need to #### with the PTO , just slide it back and do your thing .

Latest posts

Back