Going rate for tree guy insurance

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plasmech

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
What's the going rate for insurance for this stuff? Just curious, obviously not coming any time in the near future. And yes I know it's not called tree guy insurance.

Tree guy insurance

You should probably specify what kind. There are several that you might have. The two that immediately come to mind are general liability and workers comp. You don't need worker's comp if you elect to cover yourself. You DO need it if you hire anyone to help you. I haven't been quoted on W/C yet, but I have been quoted anywhere from $2500 to $10,000 for G/L. The amount is based on the payroll of your company. Realistically, I would say about 3500 a year. But, I also have some experience, yours might be higher as you are learning (think teenage driver). I hope that this helps you.

Last edited:
Just thinking of you out there doing tree work scares me do death!! & whats worse is having to compete with a"Noob"as he calls himself!!:dizzy:

LXT............

i pay $1k a year for general liability.

seems the going rate around here.for a 2mil/1mil policy.

most want all of it up front.i found one that financed.

i think it's J. Karp or something like that.

then.then it went through a finance company for payment.

i'll look for my paperwork later and see what it is exactly.

you need to shop around.

I would really appreciate that. They want like 3500 for mine!

look in the yellow pages for insurance brokers.they offer you a lot more choices.Nationwide who i had at the time i was looking wouldn't talk to me.they don't like roofers and tree guys i was told.they wouldn't even insure my 1986 chevy C-30 dump truck because i do tree work.i promised not to drive it up trees but they didn't care.

i dropped Nationwide.they weren't doing me any favors anyway.

Nationwide not on my side?

look in the yellow pages for insurance brokers.they offer you a lot more choices.Nationwide who i had at the time i was looking wouldn't talk to me.they don't like roofers and tree guys i was told.they wouldn't even insure my 1986 chevy C-30 dump truck because i do tree work.i promised not to drive it up trees but they didn't care.

i dropped Nationwide.they weren't doing me any favors anyway.

Funny you should mention that, I just stopped in to get a quote from them yesterday. They said that they would call, and they haven't. i guess it makes sense now. Thanks for the advice.

My insurance runs 1100per year for one mill coverage. It is general commercial liability thru pekin . So for no claims and plan on keeping it that way.

I'm just renewing now. For a 2 mil policy in NY cost me about $6,500 per year. If I only work in CT, then I pay about $2,500 per year for the same policy.

Wait till all the Plasmechs out of work jump into treework, uninsured, get injured, the rates will really climb then! Gonna be a bumper crop this year! LXT, pm me your address so I can send you a box of tissues:cry:

Wait till all the Plasmechs out of work jump into treework, uninsured, get injured, the rates will really climb then! Gonna be a bumper crop this year! LXT, pm me your address so I can send you a box of tissues:cry:

LOL....I live at the end of newbiescrewya street, only resident there!! No doubt, bumper crop indeed & whats sad is half of em get the advice from another one like themselves from on here!

I love it....I do carpet cleaning 9-5.....evenings & saturdays I do trees....how do you tie a blake####ch & is it dumb to use an aluminum ladder near powerlines? I cant wait for the layed off GM folks to come aboard!!

Just wait.....accident rates are gonna sky rocket & then you will have to be licensed/certified & even worse......regulated!

for those of you like plasmech......do your self a favor!.... go to barber college!!!

LXT................yes I do dislike you types! you ruin my trade!!!!!!!

I have been networking with the firewood guys around here out of necessity. I find it easier to offer my services to climb and offer the safest solution to meet their needs and the customers they deal with. The homeowner wants the tree gone, they want the firewood but cannot do it because of some limb over the house or over the power. I don't care if it is them or the homeowner but either way I get payed to help both of them achieve their goals. Bomb, payment, and back home to keep the fires going. They remember me, the homeowner remembers, and word gets around generating repeat business. Best of all, I keep these guys safe, property from getting damaged, and get steady repeat business. Even a free load of firewood now and then! The increase in people cutting for firewood on the urban forest has been considerable! I am impressed by the hardworking efforts of these guys almost as much as the homeowners with the shocked looks about that 75' pine tree not being good firewood!:deadhorse:

General liability (including 1M/2M and pesticide endorsement); Commercial auto; Commercial inland marine (including listed equipment over $1000); Terriorism coverage: payment = just over $1700.

I can pay quarterly or semianually (for an extra $5 or $10 per payment). I have Westfield Insurance through Huntington Insurance Agency.

It was tough to find anybody else locally who would carry the pesticide endorsement.

What a deal

General liability (including 1M/2M and pesticide endorsement); Commercial auto; Commercial inland marine (including listed equipment over $1000); Terriorism coverage: payment = just over $1700.

I can pay quarterly or semianually (for an extra $5 or $10 per payment). I have Westfield Insurance through Huntington Insurance Agency.

It was tough to find anybody else locally who would carry the pesticide endorsement.

In NY, its about 3300 just for one guy. That is just 1 mil g/l. I still pay another 1K for my chip truck. Then there's workers comp......

We have western heritage they will also cover pesticide on the same policy as tree.

Back