Going to potentially purchase a Stihl 039 tomorrow.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
grizz55chev
I went and checked out the saw. He had not started it is over a year when I showed up. It was covered in dust and it took about seven pulls to get it going. It has old rec gas in it and ran like a champ. The saw was in beautiful condition. I brought it home and put a 18" bar and a newer chain I had on my 028 Super before I ran it through some Hawthorne chunks I had laying around. The saw is beautiful. I could not even bring myself to try low-balling him. I paid the $200. I believe it was a wonderful deal. Here are some pictures. Also he included the original manual and four extra 16" 3/8 chains.
Only thing I’d check is any fuel related rubber parts, looking for weather checking, cracks or deterioration. Looks like a good deal!

WickhamWood

WickhamWood

ArboristSite Member
The gentleman I bought it from said he had the carburetor replaced a while back by a Stihl dealer (he told me how long ago it was, I just forgot). I looked at the carburetor while I was checking it over and it did not look as old as the saw so I believe he was truthful. He only used rec gas from then on. Should I still replace the lines just to be sure they are good to go or does rec gas not cause deterioration as well?

WickhamWood

WickhamWood

ArboristSite Member
Wonderful! That engine wasn't even breathing hard with a 16" bar and chain on board. I revcently bought and sold an 064 with a 20" bar and chain on board. Same story, I sold it only because the compression was so high that it about tore my shoulder off while trying to start it. These saws are diamonds in the rough.
I have been eyeing a 064 I found online. The two things keeping me from pulling the trigger on it is a five hour drive each way to get it and it has a 36" bar on it. The long bar leads me to believe it has been worked pretty hard. The guy is asking $450 which also seems a bit steep if it has been worked to death. Although, the 064 seems like an extremely capable saw if it still has a few years of life left. It would give me a good reason to order an Alaskan mill...

jp233

jp233

ArboristSite Operative
I have been eyeing a 064 I found online. The two things keeping me from pulling the trigger on it is a five hour drive each way to get it and it has a 36" bar on it. The long bar leads me to believe it has been worked pretty hard. The guy is asking $450 which also seems a bit steep if it has been worked to death. Although, the 064 seems like an extremely capable saw if it still has a few years of life left. It would give me a good reason to order an Alaskan mill...

Yeah, 10hrs of driving for a saw that probably got worked hard is a LOT. If you were really serious request lots of HD pics and video. If you're in the UP and it's somewhere here in the Lower/Thumb, maybe we could work something out..... ha

So it sounds like the 039 was a total success and worth every penny. If the carb was redone somewhat recently you should be in great shape. Keep running Rec 90 in it with Stihl mix oil, should be a great saw.

WickhamWood

WickhamWood

ArboristSite Member
Yeah, 10hrs of driving for a saw that probably got worked hard is a LOT. If you were really serious request lots of HD pics and video. If you're in the UP and it's somewhere here in the Lower/Thumb, maybe we could work something out..... ha

So it sounds like the 039 was a total success and worth every penny. If the carb was redone somewhat recently you should be in great shape. Keep running Rec 90 in it with Stihl mix oil, should be a great saw.
JP, the saw was in the Upper Peninsula actually. It was on Drummond Island! Would have had to take the ferry to go meet the guy. I do not know if it is still available. If the 064 is something you are interested in looking into for yourself I could try to find the guy's contact information.

jp233

jp233

ArboristSite Operative
JP, the saw was in the Upper Peninsula actually. It was on Drummond Island! Would have had to take the ferry to go meet the guy. I do not know if it is still available. If the 064 is something you are interested in looking into for yourself I could try to find the guy's contact information.

Well dang. Yeah that's still a haul for me too.... even though I spend some time up north in the summer, and hopefully if the border opens up I'll be fishing up past that way in Ontario in July.

WickhamWood

WickhamWood

ArboristSite Member
Well dang. Yeah that's still a haul for me too.... even though I spend some time up north in the summer, and hopefully if the border opens up I'll be fishing up past that way in Ontario in July.
Where in Michigan do you live? I live in Okemos and Owosso the majority of the time.