Going toe to toe on the job....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had guy's threaten to "f@#$ me up" before, of course never backed it up. Called some other dude a b@#$%, and had some other dude who was standing near by get in my face and ask if I "wanted to take this outside" I laughed in his face... I thought he was going to cry...(he just got out of prison...)

Have had helmets thrown at me, wrenches, parts, rocks...

As a note most of these D^&* waffles where fired shortly after, except for the first one, I still work near him, only reason he still works there is he's the bosses only son... (although I've stopped playing nice and not letting him pull any crap anymore...)

I have never take'n a swing at work before... I suggest you do the same. Violence while cathartic and stress reducing for the moment, usually leads to missing blood, broken bones, and expensive fines...

Not with others that i worked with. Did have a land owner that got one in the mouth for screwin with my skidder. Thought he might throw us off his land. Didnt. Go figure.

Except while working at the FD where we were paid to fight people now and then I only got into one fight at work. I popped a guy at work. He and I were friends before the fight and after a week or so friends after the fight. I can't remember what the fight was about but it was probably my fault. Nothing a beer together couldn't fix. I saved his tail a couple of times, even wore his wedding ring when he was bird dogging a chick in an airport bar.

I have a great memory of one of our nicest firefighters punching a girl square in the mouth who was fighting him to get to the two of us who were treating her friend. He dern near knocked her out. Another time I was just getting off the engine when a girl ran up to the Captain and punched him hard as he was climbing down. He flattened her. One of my career calls was fighting a guy who was high on PCP. He had just beaten his car to death with a claw hammer, was wearing just a t-shirt, and was absolutely whacked on PCP. Never a cop when you need one.

The only times I really got my butt kicked was once when I was 12 by a 14 year old. And then about 10 years ago by a pissed off wild cow. She sent me in for stitches. If you want fast service at a doc-in-the-box walk in with blood dripping off your face. The doc did ask me what I had been rolling in before I got there. Uhm...cow manure. Why?

Now if we're gonna start swapping fight'n stories... outside of work... this could be a fun new thread

(Note: the police have never contacted me on any assault charges, and I hope they never find out)

It sure is fun to hit a big dummy in the face though... right until you realize that everyone else is either friends or family of said big dummy...

Just outta curiosity any of yawl get into some sorta fight whilst on the job? Any good stories?

This is a new world we live in today. 30 years ago "rough & tumble" was dieing out, now you loose your job & go to jail as a bonus, then to add insult to injury they sue you for everything you have.
I am thankfull that I'm quite a bit older, and a little bit wiser. But don't wory, you'll get some stories of your own...give it time.

Andy

Just yelled at, and when that is going on, it is time to leave and come back when folks are in a better mood, if you can.

My eardrums hurt when I walked up to the landing and two guys were arguing over the whistle signal for slacking the skyline. Right when I got there, they started setting off the whistle, one yelling this is it! and then the other. Owie. It would have made good video for Axmen.

All the time.... But I am not a logger, I am a Corrections Officer. Most days I would rather be in the woods cutting then doing what I do lol!!

Apparently the morning of our Safe Start breakfast at the start of last year there was a fight between two silviculture crews in the carpark. Good way to start the year

My boss has a dip-#### list. Guess how you get on the dip-#### list.....Not a good list to be on.

Hope you all had a good, safe week - Sam

Fights? Yeah, some. You find out after a while that hitting people doesn't really change anything. It doesn't make people smarter and it doesn't make them care about doing the right thing. Generally, it just confuses them.
And it can really screw up your hands.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back