Good coil but still no spark

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How are you testing for spark? Are you just pulling it over listening for it to pop, pulling the plug and ground it on the case, or using an ignition tester?

Also, do you have an IPL? According to the parts diagram I"m looking at it looks like there are a total of 3 washers. Two for between the ignition module and case (stihl 4180 404 9300) and one that appears to go between the mounting screw and ignition "connector tag" (where the switch wires in) - this washer is called out as a separate part no. (9291 021 0100) and appears to be steel according to an online lookup. I'm not sure what the other two washers are made of but if you have an FS110 make sure all the washers are being installed identical to the working unit - as the fs110 uses the same washer configuration. As mentioned something may be screwy at this location.

Last edited:
How are you testing for spark? Are you just pulling it over listening for it to pop, pulling the plug and ground it on the case, or using an ignition tester?

Also, do you have an IPL? According to the parts diagram I"m looking at it looks like there are a total of 3 washers. Two for between the ignition module and case (stihl 4180 404 9300) and one that appears to go between the mounting screw and ignition "connector tag" (where the switch wires in) - this washer is called out as a separate part no. (9291 021 0100) and appears to be steel according to an online lookup. I'm not sure what the other two washers are made of but if you have an FS110 make sure all the washers are being installed identical to the working unit - as the fs110 uses the same washer configuration. As mentioned something may be screwy at this location.

I am pulling the plug (turning out the lights in my shop) and looking for spark. Not even a hint of one wether it is grounded or un grounded. I've tried both.

On both motors, the good test unit that works perfect and the one I'm trying to fix, washer 9291 021 0100 was on the right side.

I can't figure out how that washer could make a difference because it is steel and wouldn't react any different than just having the screw and no washer. The washer is there though.

I'm getting ready to give up because it doesn't make any sense.

Altho;

when you mentioned an IPL i wanted to see if that is what was sent to me by one of our kind members. it was not an ipl but a set of instructions and even though I read it I have just now noticed this for the first time......

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Depending on the type of cylinder, the ignition module is mounted to the cylinder with or without washers.
The height of the cylinder bosses for mounting the ignition module are different:

: a = 6.7 mm: Mount ignition module without washers
: a = 4.7 mm: Mount ignition module with washers
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

So the washers are not always supposed to be there and I do have two different engines. a fs110 and a fs90 . I also figured out that the fs 110 (my working test unit) may actually be an fs130.

So by using the washers on the fs90 I might have the ignition module in the wrong position because of the height of the posts (or as stihl calls them the bosses) so the module (or as I call it, the coil) is not over the magnets.

I would definitely try it w/o the washers. According to the different parts diagrams the FS90, 110, and 130 all share the same coil and flywheels. Of course they all have different cylinders.

Have you tried the coil from your test unit in your bad unit? I know you have done it vice versa but it may be worth testing out the other way around to pinpoint something you may have overlooked.

If you still need the IPL PM me and I'll get it to you.

Last edited:
I would definitely try it w/o the washers. According to the different parts diagrams the FS90, 110, and 130 all share the same coil and flywheels. Of course they all have different cylinders.

Have you tried the coil from your test unit in your bad unit? I know you have done it vice versa but it may be worth testing out the other way around to pinpoint something you may have overlooked.

If you still need the IPL PM me and I'll get it to you.

I would love an IPL. I tried 3 different fly wheels and 3 different coils. all worked in one unit (with and without the back washers) and none worked in the fs90 motor.

I'm Stumped.

I probably should have mentioned this in the beginning but the fs90 is a re build but I don't know how that could matter as far as ignition goes.

thanks for the help

Well, as stated something is clearly grounding out somewhere. Go spend the 10 bucks for an el cheapo multimeter and you should be able to figure out where the problem is.

Latest posts

Back