Good day in the woods

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdotis

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Tuesday and Wednesday of this week I was on vacation. The weather was great well better than great it was assume. Morning were in the 40’s and the afternoon got up to mid 60’s. So my 5 year old son and I went out cutting wood. We packed a lunch with a few cans of soda and some other snacks. We had some loggers take some mill trees off the farm so we were cleaning up the culls. Easy cutting very easy cutting. So he got to tag along. He was cold at first but when the sun came out he warmed right up. I had enough cut so we started splitting. I let him use the chalk to mark the place to split the rounds. They were mostly red oak so it really did not matter where I hit them they would split. But he got to learn to read the wood to make splitting easier. After the first hit he would help soften then up with his hammer or corn knife. Well to make a long story short he made the comment when we were eating lunch. He said “dad I will never forget this day I am having so much fun this is the best day ever.” In the long run he really slowed down my splitting speed he was full of questions and we did end up leaving sooner than I would have if I was out by myself. But this was the best day I have ever had cutting wood. So if you get the chance and you can be safe take your kids out in the woods and let them “help” even if you have to make up jobs for them to do. Here are some pictures for you to enjoy

Good on ya for taking him with. Rep for ya, can't wait to be able to take the little ones out, I've got several years to wait though.

Good job , it looks like you still got some wood put up anyways. I can't wait to start bringing the little ones out with me. Its always nice when the kids get to help out dad.:cheers:

Rep for a good time out with the little one

Beefie

My Helpers

My 2-boys used to like to help me with the wood. I'd take turns taking one with me when I went to cut wood. They would help carry it to me from the truck after we got home and stacked it. That seems like a hundred years ago - the oldest is now 44 and his younger brother is 43.

Nosmo

Great that the little guy made the comment that he would always remember that special time with you.

A kid doesn't wear a nice big grin like that from playing video/computer games.

Great that the little guy made the comment that he would always remember that special time with you.

A kid doesn't wear a nice big grin like that from playing video/computer games.

:agree2: Good post!

Good on ya Korey. Sounds like a perfect day with your son.

Kevin

Tuesday and Wednesday of this week I was on vacation. The weather was great well better than great it was assume. Morning were in the 40’s and the afternoon got up to mid 60’s. So my 5 year old son and I went out cutting wood. We packed a lunch with a few cans of soda and some other snacks. We had some loggers take some mill trees off the farm so we were cleaning up the culls. Easy cutting very easy cutting. So he got to tag along. He was cold at first but when the sun came out he warmed right up. I had enough cut so we started splitting. I let him use the chalk to mark the place to split the rounds. They were mostly red oak so it really did not matter where I hit them they would split. But he got to learn to read the wood to make splitting easier. After the first hit he would help soften then up with his hammer or corn knife. Well to make a long story short he made the comment when we were eating lunch. He said “dad I will never forget this day I am having so much fun this is the best day ever.” In the long run he really slowed down my splitting speed he was full of questions and we did end up leaving sooner than I would have if I was out by myself. But this was the best day I have ever had cutting wood. So if you get the chance and you can be safe take your kids out in the woods and let them “help” even if you have to make up jobs for them to do. Here are some pictures for you to enjoy
Good job dad, got ya a shiny new nova.:)

good story man! I cant wait to I have a kid to do that with. My pops passed when I was real young so I had to learn most of my stuff the hard way.

As a school teacher, you'd be suprised to find how many kids dont have fathers as a mentor. I'm sure your son will never forget it and be a better person in his later years because of it.

its the little things that matter. trips and vacations with the family are nice, but its the little moments like this, that you provide your son that will mold him into a productive man with character and experience.

good job man!:clap:

Last edited:
Great job taking the youngster to the woods!
I have girls 9 and 3 and they go to the woods w/ me often...time for me to start getting some pictures. My 3 yr old is much more into than my older daughter.
Few weeks ago she chose to work in the barn w/ Dad on a saturday rather than have a "girls day" baking w/ mom and sis. As she was handing me tools while i worked on my heat exchanger she said "Dad whatever you do don't tell Mom but I like working in the barn much better than that girly stuff Mom and Samantha are doing." Needless to say I was on the top of the world...think I just might have a tomboy.

great day, i'm redoing our house, and my 7 yr. old always wants to help. it takes way longer to get anything done,but, i would'nt have it any other way.

It don't get any better than that! Great story and I am sure you will remember the day for the rest of your life. Like others have said, time passes so quickly, enjoy every minute you can with him.

Wow, that kid's a lot stronger than he looks. That's a mighty nice stack for a little feller. Rep to ya!

Thanks for all the great comments

Just wanted to say thanks for all of the great comments. His little brother is just turning three so soon it will be both of them out helping dad. You are all correct it just does not get any better.

Rep coming your way

for that great little home made splitter you got there!

Priceless experience, I can hear your grandson telling a friend, "When my dad was five, he went cutting wood with grampa!"

SA

Latest posts

Back