good first saw for young groundman

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sal b

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
what would be a good saw for a young groundman who never used a saw. i was thinking stihl 025 would be a safe starter saw.

Walkerized 395XP, 18" bar, chisel chain, rakers at 45 thou. Joking of course, he should be able to use anything around 036, 346 size. Where I used to work every truck had 020s, 372s, 288s so the new guys were running the 372 saws right away. Any saw eats meat so more important is that you train him how to cut safely, explain kickback especially, make sure he has all the ppe.

Safety is the main factor and knowing his capabilities as well as the saws. Getting him going with anything around a 024 to 028 and limbing to be followed by bucking the smaller stuff will get him going.

Arnie

stihlatit said:
Safety is the main factor and knowing his capabilities as well as the saws. Getting him going with anything around a 024 to 028 and limbing to be followed by bucking the smaller stuff will get him going.

Arnie
thats what i was thinking. the kid is strong as hell and you dont have to tell him sht twice. the only bad thing is he never talks

Any pro series saw in the 50+cc category. I don't know much about the stihl saws so I can't comment. If Husky is what your looking at, my choice would be a stock 357XP w/18" Windsor bar & chain. Its a god all around saw IMO. Then again, like Jumper suggested, the Echo 4400 is a very reliable, light, long lasting saw with a reasonable price tag!. It's the first new saw I bought (Home Depot), and have well over 300 hours on it so far. One thing I like about the 4400 is that it has two piston rings instead of just one...maintains good compression. ;) HC

sal b said:
what would be a good saw for a young groundman who never used a saw. i was thinking stihl 025 would be a safe starter saw.
power! or maybe a husky 350

mini boss

sal b said:
i was thinking of the new stihl mini boss, the 026 wins out

How about a silky? No saw is safe. Put some chaps on him, good gloves and wish him good luck. Just remind him of the sacred rule dont cut the ground.

fanno

BigJohn said:
How about a silky? No saw is safe. Put some chaps on him, good gloves and wish him good luck. Just remind him of the sacred rule dont cut the ground.
how about it, ibuki n gomtaro zubat, then sub us for some tm work and we will show in pa

stihl 260 pro the smallest pro saw stihl makes. Light weight, sill has power. But not enough to get himself in trouble.

Depends on where your ground is. In this area, a 70cc saw is needed for the bucking. For sure minimum would be a 60cc rig. They cant learn about kickback until they deal with it.

My new guy came in with a Husky 350. I run PP 346's, so our saws are near matches. The nice thing about your mate having a saw that's near or identical to yours is you'll know how to wrench on it, your spare parts can be used to keep his up and running and if you have to grab his saw for any reason, it's familiar. Chains and bars would be swappable. A lot of unseen advantages in having similar saws

I wouldn't give him a cheap-o or a 'beginner' saw. No way. He's working with you and needs something reliable and dependable. I would do as Rolla suggested, a Husky 346. If he ever leaves and wants to sell you his saw, there would be no problem with that. ;)

Then how 'bout a 394 with a 12" full-chisel?
(just joking)
attachment.php

Yea, I thought so, too. :)

It's the chainsaw version of a sawed-off shotgun. Very effective for what it was intended to do (plunge-cutting kerfs into a log).

Not so good as a noobie trim saw, though.

saw

hey everyone, as far as the saw size goes i would suggest a stihl 036 with a 18" or a 20"bar. But he should be properly trained for some time before and needs to understand the danger of the saw and needs to also understand why kickback occurs and also when it can occur. quality supervision is very important in preventing accidents alot more so tham the saw because any saw regardless of size and or model could cause permanent injuries. chaps should be worn by all people or at least anyone that is learning how to use a chainsaw. thanks for taking time to read this, and i hope that this helps someone

Back