Good news and bad news got a homie 550

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrr344

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Well I got a Homelite 550 off of the Bay for 145$ not sure what all is wrong with it but I thought it was a decent price. Homelite 550 chainsaw with 30" bar | eBay

The bad news is my XP1100 started surging today at idle:frown:, its funny it will go to full throttle and stay with no probs it is only at idle so I am going to pressure test it and see if I got a bad seal.

I vacuum tested it and it wouldn't hold 15in but would go down to 7.5 and hold so I decided to pressure test it and it holds 15psi it will drop a little and then hold I soap up the flywheel crank seal and the base gasket and no bubbles. It has to be leaking somewhere.

I was eyeing up that 550 too. Problem is that I already have two of them, lol. The only thing I could see wrong with it is that the muffler guard portion of the clutch cover is broken. Those 550's are really nice saws, great running and not too heavy.

Also, the 1100 might just be a carb problem. pull the L screw and spray out the hole with carb cleaner. Maybe you will get lucky. Maybe the carb came loose as well.

I put it back together got about 1/4 turn on the cylinder base nuts and readjusted the carb and points it started and idled alright but haven't got it hot, grillin out now.

Well I have finally got done grilling and back to the 550, I have pressured up the case and found the clutch side seal leaking. Does anyone have a lead on one of these? I can't find one anywhere even on the SKF seal site I can't find a seal that matches these dimensions, help would be appreciated.

Well I no longer need a seal right now I ended up getting a complete cylinder and crankcase on ebay and it holds pressure so back in business.

Back