Good saw for firewood business???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mowingman

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Maybe this should be in the chainsaw section, but it is a question specific to the firewood business.
Here is the deal. An elderly friend of mine just retired from 40 years of selling firewood here in town. I bought his flatbed truck and big tandem dual trailer he used to haul in, and deliver firewood with. He tossed in for free his detailed customer list, a list of his firewood cutters/suppliers, and has offered to let me have his business phone number also.
So, I guess I might be in the firewood business. Have already owned and retired from a landscape/lawncare business, and currently grind tree stumps. I know a lot about the different brands of saws and small equipment.
I no longer even own a chainsaw, but need to get one. Since i will get 90% of my wood already cut and split, I do not need a really big saw.
What model/size of saw would be about right, without being overkill, for occasional cutting for the firewood business. i have a friend who may drop off an occasional load of oak or pecan tree trunks to cut and split. However this will not happen very often and they will not be over 24" diameter, most smaller.
Due to local availability, I will consider only an Echo brand saw. I want one fairly lightweight.
Your recommendations would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Jeff

Sorry to say that I don't have much experience with Echo. I've heard varying opinions about their equipment...some good...some not so good. If you decide to look at some other brands, I can unequivocally recommend Dolmar and I'd think the 5100 would probably be perfect for what you're looking for. JMHO.

i use a cs450p my self its my favorite...its light and does a good job. the cs 550 or 600p is a good choice as well, but more $$$. it all depends on how much ya got to get going...a cs400 will work good for a while but you will want to upgrade after a while.i use only the 370's with 14" bar's for limbing now and the cs450p 20"bar for felling and bucking,if you cut lots of bigger wood go bigger but if most is 12 - 20" diameter then 450p should fit the bill fine.

go to stihlusa.com and find a stihl dealer in denton. Get a MS362 Stihl w/ an 18 and 25 inch bar. You don't really want to use the 25 inch much, but she WILL pull it and in 24" wood it'll be nice if you don't push it. Don't waste time on an echo.. husky's are alright, just never ran one myself.

50cc minimum

Go with the, CS-450, CS-530 or the CS-600P. From your description, I'd say you want at least 50cc. The 600 is stepping up into the 60cc Pro saw category. Good luck and have fun with the business.

That Stihl MS362 will do well if you only want to buy one saw. IMO, you need a minimum ~60cc class saw to competently run 3/8 pitch chain on a 20" bar. The older MS361 is also a very good saw. Husqvarna will soon be releasing their latest 60cc saw in the 560XP, which is also supposed to be a top performer

There are many great 50cc saws, but they pretty much do better running .325 pitch chain on 16-18" bars.

Many firewood producers end up with a two saw plan. A good 50cc saw (limbing and smaller bucking) and a good 70+cc saw (larger bucking, noodling, felling, stumping). If you're going to be in the business, you might consider starting with one of those and then purchase the other when you eventually realize you need it. ;)

Maybe this should be in the chainsaw section, but it is a question specific to the firewood business.
Here is the deal. An elderly friend of mine just retired from 40 years of selling firewood here in town. I bought his flatbed truck and big tandem dual trailer he used to haul in, and deliver firewood with. He tossed in for free his detailed customer list, a list of his firewood cutters/suppliers, and has offered to let me have his business phone number also.
So, I guess I might be in the firewood business. Have already owned and retired from a landscape/lawncare business, and currently grind tree stumps. I know a lot about the different brands of saws and small equipment.
I no longer even own a chainsaw, but need to get one. Since i will get 90% of my wood already cut and split, I do not need a really big saw.
What model/size of saw would be about right, without being overkill, for occasional cutting for the firewood business. i have a friend who may drop off an occasional load of oak or pecan tree trunks to cut and split. However this will not happen very often and they will not be over 24" diameter, most smaller.
Due to local availability, I will consider only an Echo brand saw. I want one fairly lightweight.
Your recommendations would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Jeff

Jeff,
I don't know how many cords your planning on cutting a year, but remember, time is money. Especially in the firewood business. I'd be looking at a minimum of a 70cc saw if it were me. Several years ago I ran an Echo about that size (I don't remember the numbers on it), the saw pulled good and the owner didn't have any problems with it that I know of. On small logs you might be a little overkill, but in the 20 to 24" stuff you wouldn't be just grinding through it.
I was in Denton about a year ago helping my sister & brother in law take down some trees. The difference between his 50 something cc saw and my saw was big. Could make the difference between making a profit and wanting out of the business.
In another life............I lived up the road from you in Pilot Point, but don't tell anyone.

Andy

I would highly recommend two saws. Saws get pinched in the log, saws break down, won't start, etc. Having just one saw to me is not a good idea. Get one larger, say 50-90 cc, and one 40 or so cc. If you can, get them with the same pitch sprocket, so that they can both take the same bar and chain if possible, just in case you need to swap. The smaller one will be better for limbing, and the larger one will be better for bucking.

Echo's have really solid pricing, so that brand should not be a problem. But again, get two.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I am going to stop by both of our local Echo dealers next week and look around.
Stihl is not an option here. The only dealer is not one that I care to deal with, a feeling I share with many around here.
Andy,
Nothing wrong with Pilot Point. Especially if you are into horses.:wink2:
Jeff

With this being the age of the inter web I don't know how anybody would let themselves be forced into buying a particular brand of saw based on dealer support?

I can count on one hand the amount of times in the last 20 years I've needed a part A.S.A.P ...

I buy my saws based on quality..performance..reliability..reputation.. not on how easy I can get a box of plugs every 6 years.

I'm a Stihl man from birth but wouldn't step foot in my local Stihl shop because the owners a jackass... he's literally 2 miles from my house. I buy my parts on the web or drive 35 miles to a different dealer. :msp_wink:

Pick saws that fit your needs and expectations weather it be Husq ... Dolmar...Jony ..Stihl or Echo.

just my .02

I would highly recommend two saws. Saws get pinched in the log, saws break down, won't start, etc. Having just one saw to me is not a good idea. Get one larger, say 50-90 cc, and one 40 or so cc. If you can, get them with the same pitch sprocket, so that they can both take the same bar and chain if possible, just in case you need to swap. The smaller one will be better for limbing, and the larger one will be better for bucking.

Echo's have really solid pricing, so that brand should not be a problem. But again, get two.

Now that's the best post for advice so far. Exactly what I did. Got two saws, one for limbing and one for felling/cutting and bucking. Both my saws use the the same size B & C. I tend to be a minimalist when it comes to toting spare parts in my tool box. Makes it real convenient not having several different size/pitch B & Cs floating around.
Mowingman specifically asked about Echo saws. Sounds to me like he has a working relationship with his Echo dealer and will be using him for service of all his equipment.

I think the suggestion about 2 saws is great. I may be able to find at least one on Craigslist that fits my needs. Then, perhaps, buy the second one new. That would help budgetwise.
I am a big believer in buying new stuff from LOCAL dealers, not over the internet. Maybe this is because i owned a dealership for 5 years. I like to support my local dealers and they will support me when I need assistance.
Yes, I have a great working relationship with both of the Echo dealers here in town.
Have dealt with one for 22 years and the other for 15 years.
Jeff

Now that's the best post for advice so far. Exactly what I did. Got two saws, one for limbing and one for felling/cutting and bucking. Both my saws use the the same size B & C. I tend to be a minimalist when it comes to toting spare parts in my tool box. Makes it real convenient not having several different size/pitch B & Cs floating around.
Mowingman specifically asked about Echo saws. Sounds to me like he has a working relationship with his Echo dealer and will be using him for service of all his equipment.

I think the suggestion about 2 saws is great. I may be able to find at least one on Craigslist that fits my needs. Then, perhaps, buy the second one new. That would help budgetwise.
I am a big believer in buying new stuff from LOCAL dealers, not over the internet. Maybe this is because i owned a dealership for 5 years. I like to support my local dealers and they will support me when I need assistance.
Yes, I have a great working relationship with both of the Echo dealers here in town.
Have dealt with one for 22 years and the other for 15 years.
Jeff

Jeff, I know you like Echo and all, but dude, go get a Stihl! please! I'm with the 2 saw plan also. I use a 70CC and a 50 cc saw

... and I Stihl® like my saw(s)

Echo makes (or used to) make some decent stuff. However... if I am actually gonna make $$ with the thing is is gonna be a pro saw. You probably be okay with 1 saw, but eventually you would end up with two if you end up doing any decent amount of cutting.

Back