Google Earth for biding ???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For most areas around here, I can get better (newer and higher resolution) photos through the county auditor's websites. Also free. These give parcel information, and show where the property lines are, so if available, are more useful to me than Google Earth. For areas with no photos on the auditor's site, Google Earth is a great option.

I can see where this would help you see how densly wooded an area is, but it won't tell you much for diameters. Is it thick with 8" diameter trees or 28" diameter trees? If you have a nearby area that you are familiar with, you can certainly get some relative perspective...

You are right it will not tell you what is on the plot and we always make a site visit before we bid but we find that looking at a job site frome above can help alot

My county's GIS site has property info, but you can't rely on the property lines that are drawn. They can give you a rough estimate, though. It does give property line dimensions, which can help find corner pins, etc.

Depending on the date of the flyover of your area, Google earth may have more recent photos. It's also a whole lot easier to maneuver than my county's maps.

Latest posts

Back