got 3 359 Etechs all with same issues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TreeSurfer

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
soooo, i have 3 359s all showing similar issues. all 3 have the plastic intake clips and walbro carbs with an accelerator pump. 2 of these saws belong to a buddy of mine, the 3 one is mine. the only way to make any of these saws idle at all is to bac the L screw out 4 turns out. they all run super lean. im guessing its the carb being ####ty and the accelerator pumps are sticking. have any of you got experiences with the 539 Etechs and the new kits put in? im praying this will do the trick.

You probably don't want to hear this....but I've got a whole box of junk Walbro HD 199A/B carbs.

So if they have that carb or even the older HD 159 carb, its probably time to swap them out to the zama C3-EL42. You also can use the non accelerator pump carb off a 350 in a pinch, BTW...

I wouldn't waste my time with the kits, I've been there with that and you'll end up wasting your time and money, but you can try it if ya want...

LINK

Last edited:
when i said kit i meant the zama EL-34 carbs and the new mounting flange with a metal locker for the boot on the cylinder.

when i said kit i meant the zama EL-34 carbs and the new mounting flange with a metal locker for the boot on the cylinder.

Not the EL-34...what you want is the C3-EL 42 as Skippy said the 34 is for the a smaller saw...it will bolt up and work but you will not be getting all the power from this saw.. Also I would toss the Husky supplied clamp, they are a PITA, get one from a Stihl 036 instead...regular screw type. Do a search on here for 359 issues...it's all in there..Good luck

This is about well known issues - and there are reasons whay Husky stopped using those Walbro carbs and the plastic clamps some years ago. :msp_wink:

Last edited:

All that you need is the new Zama C3-EL42 and a clamp for a Husky 365,372. I have done many and I see no need for the new flange kit.

Later
Dan

This is about well known issues - and there are reasons whay Husky stopped using those Walro carbs and the plastic clamps some years ago. :msp_wink:

yeah i read up a bit before i posted. i just wanted to hear input from others who have done this replacement mod and their results.

The one I did was for a client......on my saws I might cut corners but for someone else I won't. I replaced everything between the cyl and air intake, as every piece had been updated by Husqvarna. I replaced the cat muffler with a new non cat as well. I pulled the cyl and assembled the entire carb/flange/boot/impulse line on the bench which was much easier and didn't take nearly as long as trying to get everything lined up down in the case. One thing to note is that on the new plastic flange (that the carb screws to) the mounting holes are not threaded, the screws cut their own threads, which it turn makes it that much more difficult on the saw. The owner was very pleased with the saw...said it never ran as good even new. I used it a bit and thought it to be a pretty nice saw..quick to spool up and good power and chain speed.... This is the way I do things though..not just get it running but fix everything that might fail in the near future and burn up a good saw. There is no savings there....saw parts are cheap...saws are not. Niether is your reputation..

yeah i read up a bit before i posted. i just wanted to hear input from others who have done this replacement mod and their results.

I've done a bunch and it has worked every time for me...
Now my 357 is one of the best idling saws I own.
It used to run like it was possessed
by Beelzebub!
:hell_boy:

I've done a bunch and it has worked every time for me...
Now my 357 is one of the best idling saws I own.
It used to run like it was possessed
by Beelzebub!
:hell_boy:

awesome. looks like im gonna place an order with the sawking in washington. thanks all for the input

If you buy Zama carbs through a Zama dealer they are cheaper than via Husky :msp_thumbup: A lot cheaper.

I don't agree with changing parts that don't need it. The symptom you describe make it sound like you have an air leak issue. It is likely around the plastic clamp. Not all of the Walbro carbs were bad. I would resolve the air leak first and then work from there. You can use a pair of diagonal cutters and a razor, or a dremel, to remove the clamping porting of of the intake, then use a clamp as mentioned. If you are having problems with the saws making full power, not wanting to rev out, then you likely need to change the carbs. I would suggest you pull the mufflers and make sure the cylinders haven't already received some damage. If they are CATs, I would replace or neuter them.
If you do end up replacing the carb, the removing the cylinder is definitely the way to go. You can then very likely omit the base gasket. This, and a muffler mod, really change the attitude of these saws. I just sold one that was done this way and that saw thought it was a 70cc saw.

Last edited:
I had a 359 with the same problems, it recieved a 346xp carb and a 350 intake boot only reason for the 350 intake boot as the inpulse line was pinched on the 359 probably the orginal problem but it all seemed to work fine even with the 346 carb idle and accelerated fine.

with cat mufflers it doesnt matter what carb goes in haha. it will still run hot and lean.

The cat will make it run hotter, but the no-cat is no free flower either.

Can the Walbro HD 199 carb still be ordered?

Call them junk but if the Walbro 199 carb is working correctly it spools up a lot faster than the Zama carb.

Sorry there I'm a little late reading this post. I'll look into it. It would be through walbro as I believe husky has them auto supersede to the zama. Give me a day or two on that, I'll let ya know.

Latest posts

Back