Got 4 of the 7 I need all stacked and drying.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldtimer

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Got 4 cords stacked in the all day direct sun!
50% red oak, 40% Red Maple, 10% Ash/Birch/Beech.
3 more coming soon, and then I'll start NEXT years pile because...........

I CAN!

Got a deal with a guy who buys firewood tree length off my log landing, I give him 2 cords, he cuts splits and loads 1 on my dump for me.
I have about $50 a cord in my wood this way, and I don't touch it save for dropping and limbing and skidding it out..and that's not too hard since I have a 648D John Deere grapple skidder..

Interesting side note:
Every stick of the wood- both his and mine- is split with an 8 pound maul..and mine is 20"...guy's an animal..

I'll add a few pictures tomorrow.

Last edited:
116 views, not one reply.:msp_confused:

Ya'all is jealous. :D

Was going to post up a pic or two...but no sense rubbing it in.:rock::rock:

damn

i'll admit to being jealous and please let us know who the guy is so we can be real polite to him. i'd hate to get hit by a guy that strong

2-1/2 in the pile, 3/4 on the ground waiting; Oak piled in front for sun, maple and the rest in the back..
0529111209b_0001.jpg

About a cord just outside the door..
downsized_0529111209c.jpg

And there's a small pile of pure Oak out in the field drying where it can be in the sun for 10 hours a day..
And the guy who splits it all by hand is named Dennis, and he's 50 years old. Not an ounce of fat on him..

Pic I took of the Tucker Terra 1000HD I run now and then for the snowmobile club...I stoke my stove with dry Oak, then go groom for 8 hours!
Hot coffee, tunes, heat, 2 way radio, winch, Husky saw, no worries!:rock::rock::rock:
0213110158.jpg

Nice deal!

Also, we need more pics of the TT 1000HD.:rock:

Mr. HE:cool:

That's almost cheating, but I guess technically you did cut the wood. Very neat stacking by the way. It'll have to wait till tomorrow, but I'll get some rep wrangled up and sent your way.

Around here, groomers are pulled with midsize front wheel assist tractors on floater tires chained up all around. The local JD dealer gives a pretty nice lease deal to the county snowmobile club, they ride in comfort as well.

Nice deal!

Also, we need more pics of the TT 1000HD.:rock:

Mr. HE:cool:

First, a short vid of the Mt. behind my house; My buddy Pete on his RMK...snow is a little deep even for a 2-1/4" paddle track..

The tucker on top of Mt. Shaw:
006-1.jpg

Me in front of the then new (2006) Tucker Terra 1000HD..
tuckerrichbuswell.jpg

Summer glamour shot:
Picture_119.jpg

Me on May first 2007 in Pittsburg NH, STUCK!
post-2-1178070323_thumb.jpg

Fighter glamour shot:
P1.jpg

Great seeing pix from another Granite Stater!

The more I handle firewood, the less impressed I am with oak, Great stuff when seasoned, but it takes a long while to get it from stump to stove if you don;t want to burn green. Some of last year's oak I;d be hesitant to burn in '011-12, but a maple I dropped today, wouldn't think twice.

Great pics Oldtimer, it ALMOST makes me want to break the XC600 out again, like I said, ALMOST. Guess I'll spend the rest of the summer in a tractor or out on the lake in a Skeeter walleye sled (kinda like a bass boat only in a deep vee instead, we call the old aluminum Lunds from the 50s and 60s "Norwegian Walleye Sleds" ) I still own one.

Summer is short enough up here, ya don't need to make us dream of sledding before June; after Sept 1 is okay, but not just yet!

Great seeing pix from another Granite Stater!

The more I handle firewood, the less impressed I am with oak, Great stuff when seasoned, but it takes a long while to get it from stump to stove if you don;t want to burn green. Some of last year's oak I;d be hesitant to burn in '011-12, but a maple I dropped today, wouldn't think twice.

I put mine in the all-day direct sunlight early in the summer and it's fine come heating time.
Last year I split some red oak into fine pieces (3" x 3" more or less)
and stacked it very loose in the sun in September and it burned great in December. The ends were heavily checked.
Also helps a LOT to cover the pile with tin roofing. Magnifies the heat, keeps the rain off..

The bad part is..... It's not piled by my OWB. Looks good.
Gott'a give you credit for doing the trails. They do our trails mostly at night. Not a job many would want. :bowdown: :bowdown:

Grooming is done at night for 2 primary reasons:

Safety, with the lights all flashing the chance of a sled hitting the groomer is 100X less likely.

The snow and the ambient air temp needs to be below a certain point to groom and have the snow set up well. We wait until it's 28*F or under..preferably under.

I put mine in the all-day direct sunlight early in the summer and it's fine come heating time.
Last year I split some red oak into fine pieces (3" x 3" more or less)
and stacked it very loose in the sun in September and it burned great in December. The ends were heavily checked.
Also helps a LOT to cover the pile with tin roofing. Magnifies the heat, keeps the rain off..

yeah...more or less my M.O. too.

Oak just seems to be like the kid with a lot of potential for greatness (btus versus writing a concerto) but also trouble (hissin in the stovebox versus exposing penis while singing with the Doors in Miami).

You baby it, treat it special, give it its special place in the sun to bask. Meanwhile, the red maples and the ash of the firewood classroom get none of the attention - but are asked to do the same job come wintertime.

Latest posts

Back