Got a load on your OWB yet??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Butch(OH)

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Well I think tonight will be the first time I NEED the 4400 Woodmaster instead of its little brother. Not as cold as west of here but 4 degrees at 730 and wind blowing like crazy. Shop heater has run all day, house @75 and wife is doing laundry so the 4400 is getting a workout, doesnt have it's tongue hanging out but it is above idling for once, LOL. Burning most of the day sure cleaned out the mess inside of it. Will be filling it with some nice dry 2 year old oak here in a bit and done with it until 530AM.

Just cleaned out the CB @ 4pm. and put some small dead stuff on the coal bed. About to go toss some big uns on in a minute before the Giant game. Waiting for the cold from the west too.

LT...

I cleaned mine out at about 9 this morning,wrong day to do that...big winds today.It seems to have slowed now,but I dont have a good coal bed just yet.

My taylor 750 is getting a good work out. Heating 4300 sq.ft. with most of it being my drafty old house. The wind is really blowing hard making for a cold winter blast. Going out at 10 pm to stuff it with big stuff to hopefully make it till 6:30 am.

Filled my boiler last night before i came into work, 10:30pm and this morning when i got home at 8:00am, it had a huge pile of hot coals and some unburnt logs left in it. By 10:30am it had burned all the wood and coals down to nothing(basement floor kicked on). I filled it back up and at 4:30pm the wind was blowing so hard the boiler was up to 200degrees. I have the thermostat set for 180 and figured the wind was just causing the boiler to fire without the blower on. causing a vaccum???

That wind was whipping so bad through here that tonight when I came into work at 10:30pm, I loaded that boiler up with a mix of two year seasoned mixed hardwoods and some this year hard maple. I am hoping that the 4degree outside temp and the huge winds don't burn it out before I get home at 8am. i hate hearing the propane kick on.

Ray

We haven't warmed up to zero in several days here. Tonight is supposed to be coldest night of the winter thus far at -25, thats regular temp not windchill. The wind was wicked all day and we had snow the night before. Spent an hour on the tractor blowing out the woodpile and dumping a fresh load in front of the OWB. My eyelids were frozen solid when I came in and my facemask was solid ice.

Had something weird happen with my Heatmor today I noticed when filling it this afternoon. I had thrown some wood in during the morning as we were drawing quite a bit of heat. About 6 hours after that fill, I finished blowing snow and thought I'd check and see if it needed any wood. I opened the outer door and saw my water temp was down to around 100. When looking into the firebox, the wood had wedged itself into a bridge about 10 inches above the grates. The forced draft must have burnt up all the embers but not got the new wood going. I pushed it loose and it warmed up pretty quick, but not a good day to have this happen.

Anyone looking at compact utility tractors, I bought one of the new Cub Cadet Yanmars last month, the 32 hp one. Really like it so far, makes all the chores enjoyable to do. They have zero percent financing and are offering an extra rebate right now. Hope it serves me well for years. I'll throw a pre-snow picture up of the new tractor.

Great night to sit inside and watch an exciting finish to the Sunday night game. Have a good week.
Steve

We haven't warmed up to zero in several days here. Tonight is supposed to be coldest night of the winter thus far at -25, thats regular temp not windchill. The wind was wicked all day and we had snow the night before. Spent an hour on the tractor blowing out the woodpile and dumping a fresh load in front of the OWB. My eyelids were frozen solid when I came in and my facemask was solid ice.

Had something weird happen with my Heatmor today I noticed when filling it this afternoon. I had thrown some wood in during the morning as we were drawing quite a bit of heat. About 6 hours after that fill, I finished blowing snow and thought I'd check and see if it needed any wood. I opened the outer door and saw my water temp was down to around 100. When looking into the firebox, the wood had wedged itself into a bridge about 10 inches above the grates. The forced draft must have burnt up all the embers but not got the new wood going. I pushed it loose and it warmed up pretty quick, but not a good day to have this happen.

Anyone looking at compact utility tractors, I bought one of the new Cub Cadet Yanmars last month, the 32 hp one. Really like it so far, makes all the chores enjoyable to do. They have zero percent financing and are offering an extra rebate right now. Hope it serves me well for years. I'll throw a pre-snow picture up of the new tractor.

Great night to sit inside and watch an exciting finish to the Sunday night game. Have a good week.
Steve

Nice pile. :cheers:

well its 2 below and I don't give a ####

I am off to the rodeo. My woodboiler is a eating the wood as I type.My house is heated via the slab.. It sucks that every loop in the house is calling for heat at once.. I went out to the garage and lowered the stat out there a bit.. Trying to reduce the load.( I usually keep it 70 so I can reload, and sharpen chains in my socks.) Plus the truck and car really enjoy being nice and toasty when we get in em to leave..
We had a little bit of bright sun this am.. So I got a little bit of free help from the sun. Six solar panels are also tied into my storage tank.
The wind chill is -25 right now..
I am burning red elm, red oak, hard maple and some ash in this load. I will get up early and go feed it again.. It is not going to be a 12 hour burn with these temps.. But once the slabs get up to temp, tomorrow night even if the temp stays down I will be able to coast through it.

It's pretty darn cold here in north central WV. right now. I came home from a company dinner and hit the outside temp. button on my truck and it was reading 10 degrees not counting a windchill factor of 20 maybe. I got the water temp on my OWB set @ 175 and it's eating wood! I will stay up for a little while and feed it again, then off to bed. Like most people, I will not be gettin a 12 hour burn time but shorter due to the extreme cold. Stay warm everybody.

S. Todd, thanks for the info on the tractor. been looking for a small tractor and will be looking into them. last truck payment tomorrow and now will have some extra cash in my pocket for another payment....ha ha.

I have run into the problem that you are talking about with the bridge. infact i have to watch how i throw the wood in my Empyre and make sure it won't bridge when the blower kicks on. has cost me propane in the past and i don't like using propane.

ray

I don't have a whole house outdoor unit, but the furnace hasn't kicked on yet. Thermostat is set to kick on the furnace at 61. House is staying in the mid 60's so far. Not bad for a Lil' House Heater to keep up with 0 degree temps and 25-30 below windchill.

I cleaned out the CB Saturday, glad I did...cold front hit here yesterday p.m.
She's heating the house/shop, and sucking down wood!

I wish I would have emptied out some coals myself

This bitter cold caught me off guard. I was busy with family Christmas events yesterday. I went out at 6 am, cracked the door to the stove a bit to increase the burn rate,. My storage tank temp was down to 119.I brought 750 gallons of water up to 130 in a little over an hour.. I have two small draft induction blowers on the boiler. But honestly I think I need one of them to be a bit larger., I would rather have the fire come to a full roar for an hour over having it come to a half roar for 3 hours.
Oh well It is a learn as I go stove,built from scratch right here by myself.
I only try to keep the storage tank at 130 As I am heating a slab not a water to air HX.
But,,,,, when every zone in the house is stealing heat from the tank at once The temp can fall pretty quick.
I have a programmable stat on the storage tank when temp drops to 130 it kicks on the draft blowers. I will raise it up a bit today in case this blistery cold sticks around.. Give myself a little wiggle room.

Looks like I might have picked a good time to leave Kentucky and visit family in Florida.....except that I left my neighbor the chore of stoking up my OWB.

We are in the 30's last night in the panhandle.

LOL I pitty him

Looks like I might have picked a good time to leave Kentucky and visit family in Florida.....except that I left my neighbor the chore of stoking up my OWB.

We are in the 30's last night in the panhandle.

You need to make sure you bring him back something extra special..Besides the fruit basket.

Eric
Can you set your system up so that certain zones have priority? Not sure what your using but I have 2 taco control panels. Although i havent quite figured out the wiring yet (taco reps are helping me), I will have one panel have priority over the other. When both radiant and 1 or all 3 air handlers are running, it takes forever for the air handlers to satisfy those rooms. If I turn the radiant off, they heat up in no time.

Ktm

I do not have any way other than manually turning back a stat..
I am only using 1 taco 013 pump. And it pumps the interior loops and also pumps 1 inch out and back from the tank through 6 lines of half inch totaling 500 feet pex in the storage tank.
So basically it pumps antifreeze through 3500 feet in the house/garage slab. plus the 100 feet out and back to get heat. plus the 500 feet in the tank.. LOL It is a workhorse

It's been single digits here, but 5648 ain't really taxed to bad yet. I'm gettin an easy 14hr burn with only a half loading of 2ft wood. I do need to clean out some ashes though, for when the temps really start dippin down.

Back