got a ms650 on trade....needs a top end

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jay_d

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
so what would the best thing to do with this saw be? it looks like brand freakin new and had some idiot try to break it in with straight gas. my best guess is the piston is gaulded, which is fine because id rather have a ms660 anyways.

go to stihl dealer and buy a ms660 cylinder wrist pin and piston for 3 or 4 hundred bucks and let this saw sit under my bench with my other 660 til i find a tree to big to cut with my buncher?

or order a stock 660 top end from baileys and run it a while and sell it?

Last edited:
some idiot try to break it in with straight gas. my best guess is the piston is gaulded,

order a stock 660 top end from baileys and run it a while and sell it?

First, see if the 650 jug will clean up. If it does, then a new piston will get you running. Not sure if there is an aftermarket meteor or espian piston for the 650, but probably so.

If the jug won't clean up, go with a BB top end from Baileys, not the 54mm top end.

First, see if the 650 jug will clean up. If it does, then a new piston will get you running. Not sure if there is an aftermarket meteor or espian piston for the 650, but probably so.

If the jug won't clean up, go with a BB top end from Baileys, not the 54mm top end.

wont the bb kit for the 660 cause the piston to hit the crank case? something about the gaskets? i dont see any reason to hot rod a ms660 cause the other one i bought new is bad to the bone

wont the bb kit for the 660 cause the piston to hit the crank case? something about the gaskets? i dont see any reason to hot rod a ms660 cause the other one i bought new is bad to the bone
You should check case clearance just to be safe, at worst you might have to relieve the edge of the case, but usually you are good to go.

I can't recommend the 54mm NWP because the one I handled had significant QC issues. As far as I know, they are still shipping from the same batch. The current 56mm BB, while not perfect, is usually acceptable quality.

If you insist on a 54mm, get a used jug from the 'bay and put a Meteor or Espian piston in it.

But don't rule out that 650 jug -- it may clean up.

You should check case clearance just to be safe, at worst you might have to relieve the edge of the case, but usually you are good to go.

I can't recommend the 54mm NWP because the one I handled had significant QC issues. As far as I know, they are still shipping from the same batch. The current 56mm BB, while not perfect, is usually acceptable quality.

If you insist on a 54mm, get a used jug from the 'bay and put a Meteor or Espian piston in it.

But don't rule out that 650 jug -- it may clean up.

qc issues? what are the cons of the 56mm?

and im not going back with 52mm

If your plan is to fix then sell it you could prob get almost as much not running on feebay.. I swear I have seen broken saws go for more than new..

lol, you can get some deals on there too......i bought a 044 powerhead with a busted gas tank and a stripped out starter for 50 bucks shipped

got it on the bench and it had 170 pounds of compression and cranked and oiled great.

idk if i would sell the 650 or not, but its certainly not out of the question. who needs 2 big felling saws anyways?

idk if i would sell the 650 or not, but its certainly not out of the question. who needs 2 big felling saws anyways?

True, but it is always nice to have a back-up. Depending on how much you have into it though.

qc issues?
The 54mm NWP is a poor quality copy of late 660 jugs, which were inferior in their own right. To the late 660's sloppy combustion chamber and radical timing, the NWP adds a poorly machined squish band and a poor quality bore.

what are the cons of the 56mm?
It's mostly well made, but bore quality is marginal and it also has radical timing. But has good compression and makes good power nonetheless.

so the best thing to do would be put a big bore kit on it if i cant find a oem 660 jug and piston.

just kicking around fleabay i found a good jug and piston from a crashed out saw for 150 bucks. might buy some new rings and go that way

where in GA are ytou located? I live north atlanta suburbs gwinnett/forsyth county. I have a 066 that I have cut smaller wood with. Just too fun not to use, even on smaller stuff.

Baileys is a good place to buy parts. I bought a 16 inch oregon chain/bar combo on there, good price.

i sleep in toccoa (round a 100 miles north east of atl) but i live in the upstate sc area (logging, lol)

a 66 is a bit much for firewooding right? might try a 361, your back will thank you.

as a matter of fact thats what i used to buck logs on the landing for a couple years. they sling a 20 inch bar pretty good, they just tend to kick back more than a 044 b/c they dont have the power. The work great in pine, and are pretty good in hardwood.

Latest posts

Back