Got a new 5100s

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darl Bundren

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
New to me, anyways. I went to a dealer about 40 minutes from here I'd bought a blower from some years ago and purchased the last 5100 they had. It is a demo model, a few cosmetic blems, and he charged me $369 for it. It has the 3/8" bar.

He said that they were not going to carry Dolmar anymore as they had trouble getting parts. He said there's 6 distributors in the nation and sometimes the wait is months. That may explain why the other dealer didn't get the saw I wanted in time.

I had the price list I compiled for the other saws I was looking at, and the price for the 5100 beat the cheapest next option by $80. :) I ordered a couple of new chains from Amick's after I deciphered what I needed from the bar. I am going to cut some firewood this Saturday and am excited. I've got all the PPE, a friend from work has some trees a logger felled but didn't haul off, and I am going to get them for my woodstove.

Thanks to everybody here who steered me towards this saw and answered the newb questions I had. I'm sure I'll have some more soon, but thanks for now.

Finally, I beg amnesty from the picture police as the digital cam is having "issues."

He said that they were not going to carry Dolmar anymore as they had trouble getting parts. He said there's 6 distributors in the nation and sometimes the wait is months. That may explain why the other dealer didn't get the saw I wanted in time.

I'm Glad you found a great deal on a PS5100 but the line your dealer is giving you is PURE BULL CH!T. The only reason for a dealer NOT TO GET PRODUCT is if he owes the dist. $ and his account is put on hold! If by chance your distributor happens to be out of stock the part CAN GET SHIPPED FROM ONE OF THE OTHER IDN distributors.

JUST MY .02

Scott

I'm Glad you found a great deal on a PS5100 but the line your dealer is giving you is PURE BULL CH!T. The only reason for a dealer NOT TO GET PRODUCT is if he owes the dist. $ and his account is put on hold! If by chance your distributor happens to be out of stock the part CAN GET SHIPPED FROM ONE OF THE OTHER IDN distributors.

JUST MY .02

Scott

He didn't tell me that! :monkey:

I'm not much worried about that, though, as online vendors will have what I need. I'd rather patronize the local guys, but the Dolmar folks around here seem to have some impairment that prohibits them from getting the parts and saws in timely fashion.

I know you guys can get parts with a quickness (as SawTroll notes), and I'm thinking there's enough chainsaw savvy folks in WNC to put on any parts or make repairs I can't do on my own.

It's kind of frustrating, but I still ended up with the saw :).

JUST MY .02

Scott

Amen!

JUST MY .02

Scott

And another AMEN.

Congratulations on the 5100!
I ordered some parts for my 7900 from The Cutting Edge and got them in three days. That’s about 1,350 miles from my doorstep and he can’t get them in a month?
If it weren’t for dealers like this, I wouldn’t have told a dealer 80+ miles from me to set up a 5100 for me.

$369 I can get brand new onesfor $385 with the .325 chain so i guess with the 3/8 you did ok

I hope they gave you 64 DL chains from Amicks. Standard 18" bars are 68 Dl's.

Mod the muffler. This saw sounds like a dirt bike with a couple 3/8 ports.

I hope they gave you 64 DL chains from Amicks. Standard 18" bars are 68 Dl's.

Mod the muffler. This saw sounds like a dirt bike with a couple 3/8 ports.

I got the 64 link LGX. I'll hold off on modding the muffler.

Latest posts

Back