Got a Poulan 5400 - alloy or chrome-plated barrel?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gregford

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey all,

As a trade-in on a Dolmar 7900 I was selling, I ended up with a nice old Poulan 5400. It was the last owner's dad's saw and they've looked after it well. Paint's missing off the outside, but mechanically it's amazing. Great compression, nice and clean around the carb., has 2 air filters with it and several chains.

The last owner took it into a shop and they said it had ignition trouble and fuel problems. I got it home, pulled the plug out and she had a good spark. Checked the carb and some moron had wound the mixture screws all the way in, so I set them 1 turn out, put some fuel in the tank and she runs like a dream! Sounds like a typical shop owner trying to encourage the sale of a new saw to me.

I don't usually like Poulans, but there is something about this one that I really like. I don't know if it's the massive round outlet on the muffler, the exhaust note, or what. It seems to be a very well-made saw.

Anyway, does anyone know whether the 5200 has a chrome-plated barrel and alloy piston, or is it like one of those smaller saws with the alloy barrel and chrome-plated piston? If it has the alloy barrel, I'll sell it. If it has a chrome-plated barrel, I am going to find it hard to get rid of.

I'll take it out wood-cutting this week and see how it goes compared to the 288. It should be interesting.

Cheers,

Harry

That would be a chrome bore saw. Most Poulans of that vintage use a chrome bore/unplated piston.

AFAIK, the Micro 25 used the alloy barrel/chrome-plated piston combo, as did the 3400, 3700, 4000 series. They are all the same vintage as the 5200, hence my question. Whoever thought that one up should have been shot. What were they thinking?

AFAIK, the Micro 25 used the alloy barrel/chrome-plated piston combo, as did the 3400, 3700, 4000 series. They are all the same vintage as the 5200, hence my question. Whoever thought that one up should have been shot. What were they thinking?

only the 3400 and 3800 used the chome piston. Not sure on the Micro. The Super 25 saws, 3700 and 4000 are chrome cylinders.

I don't know what my old 3400 has, but I bought it used in 1989 and used it very hard for 12 years. Still has good compression and runs great, never had a problem with it.

Congrats on the 5400!!! I just got a 5200 back up and running. They are Powerfull old saws!! Yes they do have a chromed bore. So do the 3700,4000 and all other bigger Poulans. The 3400 (56cc) did not. They had a chromed piston, and unplated bore. But doesn't make much difference. There are oodles of them out there still running strong!.

:cheers:
Gregg,

Have a 5400

I put a new piston in about 25 years ago, best I recall it was an aluminum
piston in a lined cylinder, the largest saw I have with the longest bar, 24",
my go to saw if I need to cut up some large wood.

I have a similar ? about much newer Poulan Pros, do the current ones
like 4218 have a lined cylinder. I have a PP260, they were advertised with
a Durachrome engine for longer life, have current ones reverted to the chrome
piston/aluminum cylinder?

Gregford, Here is a video of my 5200 running, today as a matter of fact.:)

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid48.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Ff201%2FGregg500%2FSeansGTG015.mp4">

Gregg,

Whoever thought that one up should have been shot.

Why???

It works great and has for 30 years!
I'd say there are as many 3400 Poulans out there still running as there are of any other saw of the same age.
It is VERY rare to see one with enough wear that it couldn't be put back in service.

Mike

Why???

It works great and has for 30 years!
I'd say there are as many 3400 Poulans out there still running as there are of any other saw of the same age.
It is VERY rare to see one with enough wear that it couldn't be put back in service.

Mike

Well, you probably know more about it than me, but to my mind it seems a very dumb idea to have a very soft bore and a hard piston and ring.

Briggs and Stratton had the same idea with their alloy bores in the home owner lawn mowers. 4-stroke, lot's of oil slopping up the bore and they still don't last as long as the cast iron bored ones. It just seems a bit short-sighted to do the same trick on a 2-stroke.

I don't know whether the 3400 had some sort of coating on the alloy, or whether it was straight alloy, but I think if it's straight alloy there are better ways of designing a bore, otherwise everyone else would have down the same trick.

As you say, there are plenty of them still running, so perhaps there's something in it.

Cheers!

only the 3400 and 3800 used the chome piston. Not sure on the Micro. The Super 25 saws, 3700 and 4000 are chrome cylinders.

Thanks for the info. Restores my faith in the brand! I had a 3400 a while back but the bore was absolutely stuffed. Not scored, but worn out.

Hmmm, you've made it harder for me to sell the 5200...

Congrats on the 5400!!! I just got a 5200 back up and running. They are Powerfull old saws!! Yes they do have a chromed bore. So do the 3700,4000 and all other bigger Poulans. The 3400 (56cc) did not. They had a chromed piston, and unplated bore. But doesn't make much difference. There are oodles of them out there still running strong!.

Gregg,

Thanks for the video! Are you running 3/8 or .404 chain? I'm taking my beast out (hopefully tomorrow) to cut some wood. I like reed-valve chainsaws, and I'm getting quite attached to this one. It's well-designed, easy to work on, and mechanically I'm unlikely to see another one like it over here.

CAD is difficult to resist but I'm holding out...

Kiwi's must not be whiners

Christchurch was near the epicenter of the recent NZ earthquake, probably
a good reason to get as many saws as possible running for cleanup.

Thanks for the video! Are you running 3/8 or .404 chain? I'm taking my beast out (hopefully tomorrow) to cut some wood. I like reed-valve chainsaws, and I'm getting quite attached to this one. It's well-designed, easy to work on, and mechanically I'm unlikely to see another one like it over here.

CAD is difficult to resist but I'm holding out...

3/8 chain is what I run. I too like the reed valve saws. The 5200 and 245A I have are reed valve types, and both are strong saws, don't turn the rpms, but alot of torque. Don't know if you knew it or not, but the 85cc Poulans have a governer in the carbs on them. Pretty much have to adjust them in the wood.

Gregg,

Gregford, Here is a video of my 5200 running, today as a matter of fact.:)

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid48.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Ff201%2FGregg500%2FSeansGTG015.mp4">

Gregg,

Gregg i recognized something when you turned it to the 5200 sticker side is that the new one ?

Calvin

Do you have or have a lead on any 4200, 4400, 4900,5200, 5400 saw parts.
I have a working ASFAIK 4200 & 5400.
I threw away a useable piston from the 5400 and a repairable air filter
with a little tear on top years ago.
I had no idea at the time parts were going to so be hard to find later.

Calvin

Do you have or have a lead on any 4200, 4400, 4900,5200, 5400 saw parts.
I have a working ASFAIK 4200 & 5400.
I threw away a useable piston from the 5400 and a repairable air filter
with a little tear on top years ago.
I had no idea at the time parts were going to be so hard to find later.

Back