Got a Poulan 5400 - alloy or chrome-plated barrel?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you have or have a lead on any 4200, 4400, 4900,5200, 5400 saw parts.
I have a working ASFAIK 4200 & 5400.
I threw away a useable piston from the 5400 and a repairable air filter
with a little tear on top years ago.
I had no idea at the time parts were going to so be hard to find later.

Yea i do but lets not hijack the guys thread this belongs in the poulan thread

or in my forum

Christchurch was near the epicenter of the recent NZ earthquake, probably
a good reason to get as many saws as possible running for cleanup.

Yeah well, everyone in the city is still alive and we had 2 vases and a figurine broken, so what's there to whinge about? It was very strong though, and went on for a minute. A lot of chimneys have fallen around the city. Kaiapoi wasn't so lucky - one lady's garden dropped 3 metres. Kaiapoi is a real mess, with a lot of the town under water.

I was very lucky because I had my Suzuki TL1000 sitting on 2 axle stands and a jack all last week while I had the suspension apart. Thankfully, I put it all together on Friday night even though I was up till 11pm, otherwise I would have gone out to smashed fairings.

I'm wondering if there'll be a greater demand for chainsaws and 4wds, but I don't want to take advantage of the situation. Most people haven't recovered from the shock, and I've got no work this week. Schools out for 2 days, so the young fellow is at home.

3/8 chain is what I run. I too like the reed valve saws. The 5200 and 245A I have are reed valve types, and both are strong saws, don't turn the rpms, but alot of torque. Don't know if you knew it or not, but the 85cc Poulans have a governer in the carbs on them. Pretty much have to adjust them in the wood.

:cheers:
Gregg,

No, I didn't know about the governor - handy to know! My 2101XP had a governor on the carb but the boys on the forum said to block the thing off as they get old and don't work properly. Now it runs like a dream, and compression went right up once it got the right mixture. The governor was letting so much fuel through that the rings couldn't bite.

Is the Poulan governor the same system of ball and spring, or something different? Is it worth blocking it off?

Cheers

Harry

Well, you probably know more about it than me, but to my mind it seems a very dumb idea to have a very soft bore and a hard piston and ring.

Briggs and Stratton had the same idea with their alloy bores in the home owner lawn mowers. 4-stroke, lot's of oil slopping up the bore and they still don't last as long as the cast iron bored ones. It just seems a bit short-sighted to do the same trick on a 2-stroke.

I don't know whether the 3400 had some sort of coating on the alloy, or whether it was straight alloy, but I think if it's straight alloy there are better ways of designing a bore, otherwise everyone else would have down the same trick.

As you say, there are plenty of them still running, so perhaps there's something in it.

Cheers!

Search 'alumasil'.

No, I didn't know about the governor - handy to know! My 2101XP had a governor on the carb but the boys on the forum said to block the thing off as they get old and don't work properly. Now it runs like a dream, and compression went right up once it got the right mixture. The governor was letting so much fuel through that the rings couldn't bite.

Is the Poulan governor the same system of ball and spring, or something different? Is it worth blocking it off?

Cheers

Harry

They are DEFINATELY worth blocking off!
Just ask Modified Mark!

Mike

He is relaxing on the lake this weekend!
Well beside the lake anyway.LOL
He should be back tonight.
I hope he gets in pretty quick, I have a couple of jobs for him!!!:clap:

Mike

Maybe I need to relook at how you block it off. Calling ModifiedMark!Bob

Here is the thread from where we discused them before, do a search for HS governor and you will find lots of info.

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=109535&highlight=hs+governor

He is relaxing on the lake this weekend!
Well beside the lake anyway.LOL
He should be back tonight.
I hope he gets in pretty quick, I have a couple of jobs for him!!!:clap:

Mike

Yeah I'm back, gotta go wash the truck and cart now.

Did my best this weekend to keep them Miller employees working, next weekends Eldora!

Well, after a great start, it turns out the coil is stuffed.

The saw was dying in the cut, after a great start. This old saw really eats wood when running right. I'm very impressed.

After blocking off the governor and removing the atomizer gauze in the main jet, it's still giving trouble. The spark is almost non-existent when hot, so I'm after another coil and/or transformer.

Does anyone know if it's the transformer which gives the most trouble? I was thinking that I could possibly adapt a transformer off a Husky 288 or 61. Hopefully it's not the ignition module, because then I'm up a certain creek.

I've been in touch with Calvin regarding a module, but any other sources would be appreciated in case he can't come up with one.

Cheers,

Harry

I have never seen a chrome plated piston.
All the Poulans i have had apart were a chrome
bore and cast piston.

Lee

Chromed pistons and a "treated" bore came on the early 3400s, some Micros and other models.

The piston looks like it is chromed and the bore looks like a plain polished casting.

When you see the chromed piston it will be obvious, especially if it is used as the plating wears off. The only info from the Poulan "repair" manual directly related to those P/C was to replace the set, not just the rings. Like most of that manual the note was signed, copied and sent to the dealer. The whole manual looks like a person sitting at a workbench wrote, made the sketches, handed the paper to the office wear it was duplicated and mailed out.

Back