Got a red top Dolly 6400 at an Amish auction :)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does you're kit have good rings considering I just ordered one?
depends on the kit? Hyway's are pretty good in most kits. Meteors are good, Mako's are decent, Tecomec's are good... kits with split ductile rings are XXXX depending on who you speak with. I really believe its the bevel on the port openings that eat rings. Most rings are decent, some better quality rings use better cast iron.... Hyways are cast, Mako's are cast, Tecomec's are cast, Cabers are cast iron.

I couldn't tell you what Bailey's uses, last check was split rings... in some of their kits, you'd have to ask to be sure.

Caber's are always good!

Those rings are crap. Randy sells his with Caber rings. These rings alone will give a 10-15psi increase in compression over the supplied rings.
Damn! How much compression should I have? This is after about 30 seconds of run time... About 170 psi. It should go up as the rings seat, right?image.jpg

Edge and engine or cuttin scott on here can hook you up with dolmar parts.

Those rings run on the premise that with less ring touching, less wear occurs and that the material is slicker for less drag. It also claims to hold the oil better.
I've not run a set in a while... that looks pretty good.

Those rings run on the premise that with less ring touching, less wear occurs and that the material is slicker for less drag. It also claims to hold the oil better.
I've not run a set in a while... that looks pretty good.

Assuming the ring quality is up to scratch that theory is correct. Unfortunately the reality tends to be different and on high hour saws these rings tend to wear out a lot faster than Cabers or similar. I've seen these rings after only a few hundred hours wear that much they are due for replacement.
I'm talking Chinese versions of these rings of course that come with the kits.

Is the Bailey's kit from China? I thought they were supposed to be decent quality? Can I buy a Caber ring to fit my piston?
image-jpg.354758

Latest posts

Back