Got a saw with a scored piston...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wanna be

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
So my old stihl has a scored piston when I used it last summer it ran and cut great just takes around 15-20 pulls to start when cold. My question is since I don't use it much and do not want to do a re-build what if anything can I do to make it run as long as possible? Run rich? Will using synthetic oil at this point help?

First things first. Find out why the piston bit the dust. If you've got an air leak, no amount of fairy dust or magic elixir will help. Continuing to run a saw that is not in proper order will only hasten its demise and possibly put you at risk.

not trying to be an a$$ but I see that you have asked this very question several times over that last couple months and people told you exactly how to fix the prob, where to start and even offered advice on rebuild.

I might ask how you know the piston is scored?

not trying to be an a$$ but I see that you have asked this very question several times over that last couple months and people told you exactly how to fix the prob, where to start and even offered advice on rebuild.

I might ask how you know the piston is scored?

You are right, I guess I keep debating with myself on what I should do(buy new or fix?) I pulled the muffler and the piston is scored on the exhaust side.

You are right, I guess I keep debating with myself on what I should do(buy new or fix?) I pulled the muffler and the piston is scored on the exhaust side.

no prob. You gotta start somewhere

Get a T27 torx head screwdriver and start wrenching on that bad boy. Everybody here would be glad to offer all kinds of help for you to rebuild that saw. take pics and ask questions is the way to do it.

The saw is definitely worth fixing, and would be inexpensive to do so. Should you need another cylinder, it should be easy to come by a new one, or go with a 028 Super toped. I would automatically replace the seals. Check all rubber parts like the intake, fuel line, and impulse line. Clean and put a kit in the carb. You'll have a saw that's as good as new with very little invested and the satisfaction of a job well done.

I agree with Brad and the others.....An 028 is well worth fixing. You will likely be out of pocket $150 - $200, but you will have a saw that will last for years again. They don't make them like that any more.

Latest posts

Back