Got an old 041 AV, looking to fix it or get MS290 running like it.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpeedingWombat

Reaction score
The old 041 AV is missing a few things. It's got the carb, the air filter, and the screw on cover, missing a whole part somewhere that got lost when I moved. I believe it's the choke part, which may not be completely needed with a little "german engineering", I'm sure. I wanted to see if it's possible to get it running again.
I have an MS 290, which is good... If you haven't gotten used to the 041. The 041 cuts through wood like butter, the 290 seems like it spins faster, but the power difference is Andre the Giant vs a squirrel.

Is there any way to get the 290 to run as awesomely as the 041? Or, where can I get parts to fix up the 041? I tried looking on eBay, ain't terribly many useful things there. Alternatively, when the 290 dies, are there any saws I can buy that are as good or better than the 041?

038 mag ll Theres one on ebay for 950 brand new never gased

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The old 041 AV is missing a few things. It's got the carb, the air filter, and the screw on cover, missing a whole part somewhere that got lost when I moved. I believe it's the choke part, which may not be completely needed with a little "german engineering", I'm sure. I wanted to see if it's possible to get it running again.
I have an MS 290, which is good... If you haven't gotten used to the 041. The 041 cuts through wood like butter, the 290 seems like it spins faster, but the power difference is Andre the Giant vs a squirrel.

Is there any way to get the 290 to run as awesomely as the 041? Or, where can I get parts to fix up the 041? I tried looking on eBay, ain't terribly many useful things there. Alternatively, when the 290 dies, are there any saws I can buy that are as good or better than the 041?

I bought an 041 Super brand new in 1980, I lived in Oregon and at that time Weyerhaeuser Company had many of those they used as landing saws. A guy working there on one of their landings---as I deliveresd diesel to the equipment, commented that the 041 was the best "darned saw the company has ever bought". So I bought one. It has cut rail cars of firewood, and only minimal times back to the Stihl shop. Lots of chains and bars, but that dude still fires off and works hard. Wish I had bought two--and had a nice new one to last all my remaining days. Whoa--the one I have will prolly do that!!

I bought an 041 Super brand new in 1980, I lived in Oregon and at that time Weyerhaeuser Company had many of those they used as landing saws. A guy working there on one of their landings---as I deliveresd diesel to the equipment, commented that the 041 was the best "darned saw the company has ever bought". So I bought one. It has cut rail cars of firewood, and only minimal times back to the Stihl shop. Lots of chains and bars, but that dude still fires off and works hard. Wish I had bought two--and had a nice new one to last all my remaining days. Whoa--the one I have will prolly do that!!
This one was given to my stepdad by a guy who used to be a logger who became a crane operator and got a bigger and better one. Stepdad, however, likes poulan. Not good(ha) poulans, but the cheapest ones. 041 had a problem, so he quit using it(would have been cheap to fix the saw back then) and bought a cheap poulan, which died after a few cords. Later, my dear mother bought the 290(instead of fixing the 041) with money I loaned her(WAS NOT HAPPY ABOUT THAT!). Tired of the 290, I became too used to the power of the 041. Gotta get it in good shape again! Probably the best un-modded saw I've used.

Hope you don't mind me posting a question here Wombat, but as I mentioned in the recent pm, I'm rebuilding one as well. My starting point is the 041AV and has poor compression. If cylinder and pistion are needed, will the Super c&p fit the 041AV lower end? Thanks

What can I do to power up the MS290 so it's a little more.... reasonable? I poked a 1/2 inch hole straight in the muffler, not sure how wonderful an idea that was, but it runs still...! And it's not bogging down anymore, definitely runs better than it did when it was brand new.

And, 041 is pulling really hard, any idea what that could be? I'm assuming after all these years the piston and everything else would need to be cleaned. Fuel lines probably need replacing and the whole nine yards, even if not, still probably a good idea. Looks quite a bit easier to take apart than the 290 was....

Last question, best angle for general cutting? Firewood. Some cedar, some yellow locust/hedge apple trees(Hate those things.) I've been sharpening it to 30 degrees, but it seems to lose the edge quickly no matter what I cut. Not hitting dirt or cutting cement.

Hope you don't mind me posting a question here Wombat, but as I mentioned in the recent pm, I'm rebuilding one as well. My starting point is the 041AV and has poor compression. If cylinder and pistion are needed, will the Super c&p fit the 041AV lower end? Thanks
Answered your question to that on the "other" forum. Go check it out!

would be interested in buying o41

You can't beat the 044 and 440's IMHO. A good 036 Pro is hard to beat. I've not used a 038 Mag but heard great things about them. If you're patient and watch your local and sorrounding craigslist, you can find one reasonable. Look at estate sales and auctions. I recently bought a 440 way under the money for 240 off cl and just missed a great running 044 with busted handle for 200obo. You might try onecraigs. It's a search engine that allows you to search cl nationwide.

Back