Got around to a nasty hanger today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philoshop

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
A root-ball fall-down. Been getting a lot of them this year for some reason with the black locust.
After eye-balling it for three months or so I decided to just do it. It was hanging over the bench on my shooting range and makin' me nervous:msp_scared:
Big widowmaker directly over the branch that was doing the most holding, so not going there.
Cut the base a little up from the root-ball, thinking the trunk is coming down right? Take a top cut, coupla wedges, and go in from the bottom. Trunk goes up and pinches the b&c. Thinkin' for three months about it didn't help I guess.
Powerhead off, more wedges, and a few choice words of encouragement and I got the base loose. It's a 14" tree and I'm gonna win.
Chain and tractor to pull it away and I'm set.
View attachment 285238View attachment 285240View attachment 285241View attachment 285242View attachment 285239
Not quite done! Flat front tire on the tractor. Probably a chunk of glass. The property was apparently not well cared for before I got here.
Still feels like a win though.

A root-ball fall-down. Been getting a lot of them this year for some reason with the black locust.
After eye-balling it for three months or so I decided to just do it. It was hanging over the bench on my shooting range and makin' me nervous:msp_scared:
Big widowmaker directly over the branch that was doing the most holding, so not going there.
Cut the base a little up from the root-ball, thinking the trunk is coming down right? Take a top cut, coupla wedges, and go in from the bottom. Trunk goes up and pinches the b&c. Thinkin' for three months about it didn't help I guess.
Powerhead off, more wedges, and a few choice words of encouragement and I got the base loose. It's a 14" tree and I'm gonna win.
View attachment 285238View attachment 285240View attachment 285241View attachment 285242View attachment 285239
Not quite done! Flat front tire on the tractor. Probably a chunk of glass. The property was apparently not well cared for before I got here.

Mighty fine job...that was real perseverance...looks like some pretty decent chunks of wood there as well.
I've yet to cut or burn any Black Locust...a feller basically gave me some Osage Orange(Hedge) cause he didn't know any better he thought and was told it was locust...and I got it seasoning right now.:rolleyes2:

Here is a couple of pics:

Last edited:
Nice job and cool pictures. I usually don't enjoy looking at nasty hangers.....

Gotta figure the rootball will triy to set back down. Doesn't always happen but something to consider before cutting. I had much the same happen back when and the saw was a Homelite with outboard clutch. Lots of fun getting the powerhead off.

Harry K

Yeah, hangers can get a might "interesting" no doubt.
Here's one I had to deal with a couple years ago.
I misjudged the relationship of branches to available gap and...

175999d1300046305-tree2-jpg

178666d1301877292-treea1-jpg

178667d1301877308-treea2-jpg

always good when a hanger comes down and noi one gets hurt... I know i have my share fo them but have gotten much better over the years not only in not creating them but in the manner I deal with them if they do happen.

Yeah, hangers can get a might "interesting" no doubt.
Here's one I had to deal with a couple years ago.
I misjudged the relationship of branches to available gap and...

175999d1300046305-tree2-jpg

178666d1301877292-treea1-jpg

178667d1301877308-treea2-jpg

WS,

How did you deal with that hanger? By the looks of it thats a substantial tree (oak?). I know you have your tractor thats a beast, but that tree looks to be waaaaaaaaaaaaay more than your tractor can handle, then again maybe it just took a little nudge to get it down lol.

...Not quite done! Flat front tire on the tractor. Probably a chunk of glass. The property was apparently not well cared for before I got here...

glad you got it down. i hate those hangers but if you down trees you're eventually gonna end up with one.
are you sure about the glass? those tires look to be in pretty good shape so i'd be surprised if it were glass unless it was thick and you hit it just perfect.

WS, How did you deal with that hanger?
...that tree looks to be waaaaaaaaaaaaay more than your tractor can handle...

L-O-L
We tried pulling that oak down with the neighbors big-azz field tractor wearing duals... and broke the chains!
I ended up working from the butt-end, cutting it into 32-inch sections. Starting with a top-cut about half way through, hammer-set wedges, and finished with a bottom cut... just walked it down one section at a time until it finally twisted, rolled and fell. It was a bit of a trick though because my 20-inch bar on the 026 forced me to make the cuts from both sides... I was a bit on the "jumpy" side, but took my time, carefully thought about each cut and where I wanted the saw (and my body) as each cut finished.

That was a bad one. Congrats on getting it down safely. :)

I don't get hangers often... but when I do they'll usually come down piecemeal, one log at a time. I don't have a tractor to drag 'em out. The last one hung before the hinge wood broke and she sat on the stump. That was a scary situation.

Two things in life I absolutely despise ~ cold toilet seats and hung trees. :D

glad you got it down. i hate those hangers but if you down trees you're eventually gonna end up with one.
are you sure about the glass? those tires look to be in pretty good shape so i'd be surprised if it were glass unless it was thick and you hit it just perfect.

Right you were on that. A little corrosion on the rim with some side torque and the bead let loose. She's wearin' a tube now and I'll get the other front tire done soon, before it stops another work day. Thanks.

That was a bad one. Congrats on getting it down safely. :)

I don't get hangers often... but when I do they'll usually come down piecemeal, one log at a time. I don't have a tractor to drag 'em out. The last one hung before the hinge wood broke and she sat on the stump. That was a scary situation.

Two things in life I absolutely despise ~ cold toilet seats and hung trees. :D

Cold water in the urinals is what chills me. LOL

Back