Got even today!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve NW WI

Unwanted Riff Raff.
Reaction score
That oak that caused me so much greif last weekend met it's maker today. I got home from running around all day about 4:15 and headed for the woods. By 4:30 I was all set up and ready to split. It took a little longer than I expected, and it was 6:20 before I was done. I had about a dozen rounds I had to noodle in half to lift, and a piece of top to block up I'd forgotten last weekend.

Here's the setup:

attachment.php

attachment.php

I think I could have gotten some more wood on the truck, but I don't know where :D Traction even in old crusty snow over a foot deep in places was no problem at all for some reason!

attachment.php

attachment.php

And for those of you that wonder why us fruitcakes live up here in the frozen north, here's a shot of the woodpile area this morning. The cruddy cell phone pic doesn't do it justice. It was absolutely postcard material.

attachment.php

Off to the medicine cabinet and the beer fridge for a bit, that oak is H-E-A-V-Y!

It's nice to see another Farmall M in operation. It's also nice to see that someone is able to get wood out of their grove up here. Mine is pretty much snowed solid, snow would be up to the rad. Are you running fluid in your rears? Maybe you don't need to with what you use it for.

Last edited:
13.6's full of fluid, probably 60% tread or so. I had a little trouble getting around today, but not real bad. Tricycle fronts take a bit more work to get through the snow than a wide front. The worst part is the wimpy band brakes don't always work well enough to get the tire with grip to spin. The Massey diesel is much nicer in snow with the locking differential.

Nice thing about the old M is it doesn't complain about being left out in the field or woods, it just starts and gets to work. The Perkins diesel in my 180 needs to be plugged in anytime it's below 30 to start.

What do you have for a starting and charging system on that one? It sounds like it starts good.

I'll agree that in certain times a heavy tractor with a differential lock cannot be replaced. Now operating a front wheel assist tractor, that is just a luxury. The times I have ran one I just used the FWA for emergency, as I dislike the maneuvering ability. I still get along on the yard just fine with the old 30's-60's vintage tractors. It's really amazing how they can pull so good, I always say "it's all in the operator".

ProMac - 12 volt conversion, Delco alternator. Guy that did it hacked the hood to fit it. When we got it, I put a shorter belt on it to get it back under the hood and welded the hood back up before a paint job - wish now that I'd spent the money for good paint! This past summer I put in a Pertronix electronic ignition & coil. It makes a world of difference. I'll recommend them to anyone with an older points tractor (or car/truck). No MFWD tractors here yet, but it'd sure be handy in my sand hills.

I have chains for both tractors, but they've been rusting in the shed for the last few years. If we get much more, I'll either have to break them out or plow some trails.

icreek - notice that it's not bottomed out yet. I've got a heck of a spring pack under that half tonner. I'm tempted to run it across a scale, but I think I don't want to know. Once I get the wood stacked, we will see what the weight charts say it should weigh.

Any guesses on cordage back there? Might get it unloaded in the AM, or later this week in the evenings.

ProMac - 12 volt conversion, Delco alternator. Guy that did it hacked the hood to fit it. When we got it, I put a shorter belt on it to get it back under the hood and welded the hood back up before a paint job - wish now that I'd spent the money for good paint! This past summer I put in a Pertronix electronic ignition & coil. It makes a world of difference. I'll recommend them to anyone with an older points tractor (or car/truck). No MFWD tractors here yet, but it'd sure be handy in my sand hills.

I have chains for both tractors, but they've been rusting in the shed for the last few years. If we get much more, I'll either have to break them out or plow some trails.

icreek - notice that it's not bottomed out yet. I've got a heck of a spring pack under that half tonner. I'm tempted to run it across a scale, but I think I don't want to know. Once I get the wood stacked, we will see what the weight charts say it should weigh.

Any guesses on cordage back there? Might get it unloaded in the AM, or later this week in the evenings.

Looks to be pretty close to a full cord. Unloading and stacking a load like that can be hard on a man for sure. Tell ya what, drive on across the river and I'll be glad to give you a hand unloading and stacking that wood. May even have a few beers around to boot.....:cheers:

Looks to be pretty close to a full cord. Unloading and stacking a load like that can be hard on a man for sure. Tell ya what, drive on across the river and I'll be glad to give you a hand unloading and stacking that wood. May even have a few beers around to boot.....:cheers:

I'd love to, but I'm short on time. I'm due at the local establishment in just a couple hours to watch the Daytona 500. Guess it'll just have to come off here LOL!

Got it off today. It stacked out to about 90 cubic feet, or .7 cords. Using the U of NE green weight of red oak of 4900lb/cord, that puts that load at 3430lbs. Here's a shot of the suspension while still loaded. I LIKE stiff springs!

attachment.php

A couple shots of the stack, this load starts about where the shovel is. My elm stockpile is in the back row.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I've got 2 or 3 more oaks this size or so to get this winter, and a half dozen maples, a couple that make this one look small, plus some elm, ironwood and birch yet to cut. As long as I can get to the woods, there's no shortage of work for the rest of the winter.

Just over 5 cords stacked for next winter so far, hope to have triple that put up before the saws go on summer vacation. It'd be nice to let this oak season for 2 years, but "here", it's usually pretty good after a year.

looks nice and thats good that you got back at that oak that gave you so much of a fit. i still got 3 more oaks and a beach tree down to cut up in 16 to 22 inch blocks to bring home and bust and stack.but i got snow last night and it made every thing slick as i don't know what but i'll go tomarrow. and see how bad it is to get to so i can saw it up and get it to the house to bust.

Nice beatin on the Oak! Couple of ibu's and a beer and let the chips fly tomorrow! LOL! :cheers:

Off to the medicine cabinet and the beer fridge for a bit, that oak is H-E-A-V-Y!

Ok the wood is great...Glad to see you won and the tree lost:cheers:

What got me tho is that I'm not the only one with a dedicated beer fridge :yourock::monkey:

Nice beatin on the Oak! Couple of ibu's and a beer and let the chips fly tomorrow! LOL! :cheers:

Gonna try to head for the woods again if I can get off work early enough to make it worthwhile, stupid job keeps getting in the way of playing with the saws!

Ok the wood is great...Glad to see you won and the tree lost:cheers:

What got me tho is that I'm not the only one with a dedicated beer fridge :yourock::monkey:

I thought everyone had one? Then again WI is the beer drinkingest state in the US of A!

Latest posts

Back