Got gas?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wood Junkie

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Ok, the running debate over the wood pile last weekend was about chainsaw fuel. Now being the new guy I just kinda sat back and listened to see what made sense. It went something like this.... Me... What kind of fuel do you guys run?....Guy#1: ms 270 ...Stihl says to run 89 octane with stihl mix, of course. I use stihl mix and TSC bar oil Guy #2:ms 180 and ms250... . I always run premium and never had a problem.....it's the ethanol that burns the saws up! I always use Stihl blended mix and bar oil in fall/spring and 15w40 in winter. Guy #3......B.S. always run "what ever" fuel with walmart mix and used motor oil. Saw seems to run ok to me.......

These are real statements folks, I know that last one is kinda redneckish....he has a five year old ms 290 with a really black bar.......used to be white.
Surprisingly, they all agreed on not using fuel over 1 month old! I plan on using Stihl full synthetic mix and winter bar oil. But I am a little confused on the octane thing........
Any comments, opinions, wanna pick on these guys?! What's your view?:monkey:

ok..... 50 odd views and no opinions? My main question is what octane do you guys recommended for chainsaws? Is ethanol a problem? What mix do you use?

I run 89 octane and Stihl Ultra in my equipment. As far as Ethanol is concerned it can cause problems.

Run the highest octane fuel you can find (and I can show you pics why) Alcohol has been shown to damage some of the older saws but I think the newer ones are being built to be compatible with the new (alcohol) fuels. Oil has been beat to death :deadhorse: around here and I won't kick it anymore. (do a search)

As for me personally I am using 100LL AV Gas with Mobil 2T and Stihl Bar oil. I have some of the Stihl "winter" bar oil and I'm going to use that when it gets real cold. I feel this is the best combination out there right now to protect my equipment, and that’s all that really matters to me. ;)

93 octane here. Mobil one synthetic two stroke.--- Wintergrade stihl bar oil. ( I dont use the saw all day everyday either). Just a homeowner.
I do know people that use mix in their boat motor-chainsaws-weed whippers-and what ever else . That has sit all winter in a 5 gallon can, not even with stabilizer in it. ( I wouldnt keep it long at all 30 days max)
Never clean thier saws. Used motor oil. Never sharpen thier chains. On and ON and On.. Oh,, I dont hunt anything they say!! In the same breath they may ask to borrow your saw because there's wont run rite. Sure I told my buddy---PSYC... No , I have only loaned my saw's out to my dad. And I take my mix and oil over with it.

93 octane here. Mobil one synthetic two stroke.--- Wintergrade stihl bar oil. ( I dont use the saw all day everyday either). Just a homeowner.
I do know people that use mix in their boat motor-chainsaws-weed whippers-and what ever else . That has sit all winter in a 5 gallon can, not even with stabilizer in it. ( I wouldnt keep it long at all 30 days max)
Never clean thier saws. Used motor oil. Never sharpen thier chains. On and ON and On.. Oh,, I dont hunt anything they say!! In the same breath they may ask to borrow your saw because there's wont run rite. Sure I told my buddy---PSYC... No , I have only loaned my saw's out to my dad. And I take my mix and oil over with it.

I know what you mean....mine might get loaned out,but I'm coming with it!
Some of you run AV gas? Wow, I thought 93 was above and beyond! As I said,I'm new to this and want to run the right stuff. I like to work on engines and such,but not because of negligence.....Thanks

Just the way gas burns, higher octains when it's hot out, but could be an over kill during the winter months.

Just think about that 'old school' (carburated - non-feedback engine) car or truck you had. knocked and pinged in the summer, more noticeable when you really got down on it. Liked it when you bought the better gas for it. But did not seem to matter as much in the winter?

Running a tad rich, or favoring the rich side of the tune will act a little like higher octain gas (act like, not is like)

I run the mid range 89 , just cause my service van gets better millage per dollar, the generator in it likes mid range gas. So chances are if i need to rob a gallon to mix in the woods, it will be mid-range. A thin dime more a gallon, And my saws seem to like it.

I run the mid range 89 , just cause my service van gets better millage per dollar, the generator in it likes mid range gas. So chances are if i need to rob a gallon to mix in the woods, it will be mid-range. A thin dime more a gallon, And my saws seem to like it.[/QUOTE]

Man, how did you know I have a service van:confused: .........I'd never think of using company fuel.........:greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
Premium grade 91-94 octane fuel, and Stihl sythetic 2 stroke oil. I have been to a few dealers that recommend 87 octane or your warranty is void............never went back to them. My father in law was firm believer in 86-87 octane in everything(cars, lawn mowers, chain saws, and etc)............until I pointed out the weird noise that he always heard was spark knock!.

No less than 89 octain with Stihl mix and Stihl or Husky bar oil. I have been known to stretch out the storage time to a couple months, damn, I need to stop that.

Back