Got me a new 346XP to replace my 345

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cujet

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So, I finally got annoyed with the repairs on my 13 year old Husqvarna 345. It's been a great saw, and has plenty of power. Plus the piston is perfect and it has great compression. But, there are issues, mostly due to significant use.

So, I go to the local dealer and pick up a brand new 346XP. Obviously, the 346XP is a more substantial saw, with the metal engine case, vs. the plastic 345. But, other than that, they perform quite similarly. I took the time to tune the 345 properly and rig the throttle correctly. It's actually a bit more revvy than the 346!

I'm using the same H30 chain and Husky 18inch bar on each saw. Bottom line, they are quite similar and both quite good. With the 346XP having a bit more torque under heavy load.

Do you guys have a favorite chain for the 346? I was running Stihl RS chains on my 345 until I ran out of them. They were incredible. But they stretched too fast. Probably due to the lack of sufficient oiling and sand. The H30 chain is a distant second to that RS.

How about bars? The sugihara one I see in the pics are quite good looking. Are they worth the money?

I've got to admit that I am very happy with the 346XP. It's an updated version of my beloved 345.

After a gallon of gas has ran through your 346 you'll be posting in here about how much stronger it is, they really do come alive after they have been ran. Stihl rsc .325 72dl 50g for a 18 inch bar if that's what yours is...

So, I finally got annoyed with the repairs on my 13 year old Husqvarna 345. It's been a great saw, and has plenty of power. Plus the piston is perfect and it has great compression. But, there are issues, mostly due to significant use.

So, I go to the local dealer and pick up a brand new 346XP. Obviously, the 346XP is a more substantial saw, with the metal engine case, vs. the plastic 345. But, other than that, they perform quite similarly. I took the time to tune the 345 properly and rig the throttle correctly. It's actually a bit more revvy than the 346!

I'm using the same H30 chain and Husky 18inch bar on each saw. Bottom line, they are quite similar and both quite good. With the 346XP having a bit more torque under heavy load.

Do you guys have a favorite chain for the 346? I was running Stihl RS chains on my 345 until I ran out of them. They were incredible. But they stretched too fast. Probably due to the lack of sufficient oiling and sand. The H30 chain is a distant second to that RS.

How about bars? The sugihara one I see in the pics are quite good looking. Are they worth the money?

I've got to admit that I am very happy with the 346XP. It's an updated version of my beloved 345.

A few comments

--Once the 346 is broken in it should be more snappy than your 345. There should be better acceleration, greater speed, more power, more torque, more everything. The chips should hit your leg harder, etc etc. If it's not performing like that after break in then you need to get it retuned. It's not just hype--the saw should definitely have a good deal more power. Break-in takes time, however.

--RSC is my favorite chain. Not sure if your "RS" was RS or RSC. Basically RSC is RS but it has reduced vibration. The husky chain is oregon chain which is ok, very easy to file, but because it's rather soft, I find that I really get reduced life out of it. When it dulls you end up taking more off to fix it, and so even if the cutters are the same length they end up lasting nowhere near as long. I would not go the 3/8 route. I would stick 0.325 and get RSC to match whatever bar. If you are using the stock bar, it is narrow kerf, and it's worth getting a standard kerf bar, even though you can run normal kerf chain on it and just have some overhang.

--I've never tried a sugi bar on a 346, but do realize that solid bars like the sugi (and more so for oregon powermatch, windsor speed tip, etc) weigh significantly more than laminated bars. I find that with how light the 346 is, even though they are less durable, laminated bars are the way to go. Even with a 16" solid bar, they are noseheavy and the saw will start to pick up off the rear end. A sugihara is a reduced weight solid bar but it's not clear to me how close they are in weight to laminated bars, especially in that length. The beauty of saws like the 346 is how light and maneuverable they are; don't ruin this with a solid heavy bar.

Thanks for the replies.

The 345 loved the Stihl RS chain, but did not perform nearly as well with the RSC. The H30 performs on par with the RSC.

I used the saw a bunch yesterday, so it's well on it's way to being broken in. I'll probably have to lean it out a bit, as it's 4 stroking just a little.

Any other chain suggestions? Husqvarna sells other chains too. Not really sure what's everyones favorite for the 346XP.

Great saw! Congrats!

The 346's are dogy right out of the box. My latest one took 11 tanks before it woke up. Big change!!! I was either going to sell it, or port it, it was that bad! Now I think it'll just get a muff mod, it is really that good! :D

Sugi bars are heavier than the Husky laminated, in 16 and 18". But are great bars! I have two. I'm running a 18" Oregon pro light right now and so far like it better than the rest.

Stihl RMC and Oregon semi chisel are my chains of choice and work very well on the 346xp.

For me semi chisel stays sharp about twice as long as chisel and cuts just as fast.

Those 346's are some fine lookers. I've heard the silver doesnt hold up well, but I think it looks great.

16" bar with Oregon LPX and you'll be a happy man.

I'll admit Stihl chain is better but the additional cost doesn't cut it for me. (Pun intentional):hmm3grin2orange:

16" bar with Oregon LPX and you'll be a happy man.

I'll admit Stihl chain is better but the additional cost doesn't cut it for me. (Pun intentional):hmm3grin2orange:
Make a decent offer price on the chain...

Put the cash $$ on the counter...

No bite..walk out the door..

Do this enough times and you will likely see results..
(and remember the dealer makes up the loop..!!)
:cheers:
J2F

J2F

I doubt that would be successful around here.:hmm3grin2orange:

All the Stihl dealers sell John Deere lawnmowers. :mad:

The Husky dealer runs a real chainsaw shop.

its not the norm but I am running 18 inch bar with stihl 3/8 chisel and its great

I ran a 346 while back with 3/8" chain, 20" bar and was very impressed! It did have a MM but wasn't ported. If I didn't have so many .325 bars and loops, I might be changing over.

chainsawnut460 and I have been trying some different setups on the 346 and although I have been slower than him to admit it, the 3/8 chain seems to do better- i think it clears chips better than 325

Granted, our saws are ported, but we have been cutting frozen white oak and the 3/8 has been a little faster, we are running 20" bars and stihl RS or oregon JP in 3/8, stihl in 325

congrats on the 346- you will love it !!

J2F

Just remember to pick up your money before you leave... :laugh:

After a gallon of gas has ran through your 346 you'll be posting in here about how much stronger it is, they really do come alive after they have been ran. Stihl rsc .325 72dl 50g for a 18 inch bar if that's what yours is...

I have found Oregon LPX to be just a bit better than RSC in .325, and the best option on the 346xp and similar saws.

The 345 is a much weaker saw......

Last edited:
Thanks guys.

If I can ask you to be more specific, that would be a big help. If I choose a 3/8 chain, do I need to change the clutch sprocket due to different chain link spacing? Or do I simply choose a bar and chain combo?

Also, what specific 3/8 chain/bar combo do you suggest?

As I mentioned, I loved the Stihl RS 325 chain I used to use. I'd very much like to replicate that performance. It did not have any form of anti kickback ramps, but otherwise looked the same as other chains to me. I simply don't know enough about chains to know the difference.

Back