Got my Dolmar 5100 back today from the dealer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dale.Z

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
He still stands that is was bad fuel to high alcohol (13%+) Knowing that is what he believes I stopped at the local station I buy my fuel at and bought a gallon for him to test. And it came back 100% gasoline. Yea me! I asked him why Dolmar made him pay for have of the repair and he said Dolmar didn’t make him do it he offered if they would share the cost of the repair because he said it was not covered under warranty.
The tech was pretty cool went back a got a blower from the shop and showed me the same fuel test and it did come in around 10-12% and made a milking white color also, said that’s how mine looked when they tested it. Didn’t want to get into it so I chose not to remind them that it was there fuel they put in my saw when they did the test. Asked if I could have the old parts and they said no they needed them to get paid by Dolmar but had no problem showing them to me. The top of the piston looked normal light carbon deposits covering the entire surface. The damage we saw from the initial pictures went from the very top edge of the piston to the very bottom of the skirt and almost 180 degrees on the other side there was more damage of the same type but not as much. The cylinder mirrored the piston. I am no saw mechanic but I think the saw ingested something. It just seems to me that if it was a fuel issue why wouldn’t the entire piston be damaged? Why just two separate places?
Anyways seeing how they tested the fuel I came home and made my own homemade tester from a cigar tube and tested the now 2 ½ month old fuel I had been using in the saw. Look at the results its shows no alcohol but it almost turned into a white gel substance any thoughts?
DSCN1907.JPG

DSCN1975.JPG

DSCN1976.JPG

Good to hear.
If i were you id sell it and get a Stihl.

Dale,
Take a look at the pics in your thread I posted before. It shows the damage on the intake side also. If you looked there would have been a spot where the wrist pin bearing was into the boss of the piston.
Tommy Thall posted pics of a saw that Stihl done this to. It was the lack of air flow around the cylinder. They closed off teh recoil side and did not allow air into cool it. This is why the 5105 and said to have 30% more cooling. The reason for the opposite side scoreing is the drag caused on the exhaust side tilts the piston to cause it to run crooked in the cylinder.
My dealer said to run premium fuel with synthetic oil and richin it up a bit. I am glad things are firgured out on these saws so folks can make the needed adjustments and get great life out of them.
Bob

He still stands that is was bad fuel to high alcohol (13%+) Knowing that is what he believes I stopped at the local station I buy my fuel at and bought a gallon for him to test. And it came back 100% gasoline. Yea me! I asked him why Dolmar made him pay for have of the repair and he said Dolmar didn’t make him do it he offered if they would share the cost of the repair because he said it was not covered under warranty.
The tech was pretty cool went back a got a blower from the shop and showed me the same fuel test and it did come in around 10-12% and made a milking white color also, said that’s how mine looked when they tested it. Didn’t want to get into it so I chose not to remind them that it was there fuel they put in my saw when they did the test. Asked if I could have the old parts and they said no they needed them to get paid by Dolmar but had no problem showing them to me. The top of the piston looked normal light carbon deposits covering the entire surface. The damage we saw from the initial pictures went from the very top edge of the piston to the very bottom of the skirt and almost 180 degrees on the other side there was more damage of the same type but not as much. The cylinder mirrored the piston. I am no saw mechanic but I think the saw ingested something. It just seems to me that if it was a fuel issue why wouldn’t the entire piston be damaged? Why just two separate places?
Anyways seeing how they tested the fuel I came home and made my own homemade tester from a cigar tube and tested the now 2 ½ month old fuel I had been using in the saw. Look at the results its shows no alcohol but it almost turned into a white gel substance any thoughts?
DSCN1907.JPG

DSCN1975.JPG

DSCN1976.JPG

i am happy that you have your saw back at home--i just bought a 5100s and
yet to use it other than warm it up and adjust the carb--now if i knew how to test my fuel--please tell me how you do it. i like others have my own idea of the damage to your saw - i think it was loose material in the bottom end -something left in at the assembly line -
i have a very good dealer less than a mile away he would have treated you much better wish there were more of them
ralph
thanks for any info,
ralph

Last edited:
i am happy that you have your saw back at home--i just bought a 5100s and
yet to use it other than warm it up and adjust the carb--now if i knew how to test my fuel--please tell me how you do it.
thanks for any info,
ralph

To test the fuel add 20 % by volume water and give it a shake. The increase in water volume (or decrease in gas volume) is the ethanol/water that was extracted from the gas. Compare what you started with to what you end up with. This is best done in a long slim graduated cylinder, but you can McGuyver it with a cigar tube.

With that information on ethanol testing in fuel, theoretically you can mix water with your 10% gas, shake, wait a while then pour off the strait gas from the top of the pot. Would this work?

To test the fuel add 20 % by volume water and give it a shake. The increase in water volume (or decrease in gas volume) is the ethanol/water that was extracted from the gas. Compare what you started with to what you end up with. This is best done in a long slim graduated cylinder, but you can McGuyver it with a cigar tube.

Thanks for the info -i am off to the cigar store right now

Latest posts

Back