got my new limbing saw today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

o8f150

Tree Freak
Reaction score
ups dropped this new cs-370 off today,wooooooooohooooooooo,, it is better for limbing then the 306 that i sold,,more power,, first thing was trim the limiter tabs and open up the muffler (dang cat mufflers) and dress it up with a new carlton 14" bar and chain. took it to the wood and got it tuned pretty close. just 4 stroking in the wood + 1/8th turn rich. got the pic of the 16" bar and chain that came with it on the classifieds to sell. now i have a small,medium and large saws.

001.jpg

Last edited:
Sweet man! Just picked up the same saw last week. So far i love it. I took the limiter caps off as well im waiting for one more tank before i do the muffler mod.

Did the muffler mod make it louder? How much gains did it give the saw?

i had 1 for about 1 1/2 years and got stupid and sold it,,so i had to get another one, i didn't have a bit of trouble out of the other one. as far as the muffler mod goes all i did was take the cat out and opened up the exit port a little bit more, it helped the throttle response and it isn't a whole lot louder

I was told you cant hear these 4 stroke cause of digital ignition or something?

How does that chain compare with the one that came on the saw? Im thinking about getting a stihl yellow label for mine.

Last edited:
One of the best kept secrets in small limbing saws out there. I've got two of them, and they see a LOT of use here since we cut a lot of tops left over from logging operations. Nothing overly impressive about them anyplace for power production, but they are dead solid reliable and plenty of power for limbing. Excellent anti-vibe, light and run just about forever on a tank of fuel.

They respond quite well to a muffler mod. The coil has some sort of spark retard module built in, at least that's what my contact at Echo told me. They aren't hgih rpm's right to start with, so set the "H" screw for heavy 4 stroking and slightly power loss, then sneak up on the best setting by making a few cuts and leaning it up slightly each time. They reach a point where power and cutting speed doesn't increase any, so I stay close to that setting or just a tad richer. Leaning them up does NOTHING for increasing cutting speed, those engines are not designed for high rpm's, more of a mid-range design with a LOT more grunt than one would ever expect from the cc's.....Cliff
attachment.php

attachment.php

One of the best kept secrets in small limbing saws out there. I've got two of them, and they see a LOT of use here since we cut a lot of tops left over from logging operations. Nothing overly impressive about them anyplace for power production, but they are dead solid reliable and plenty of power for limbing. Excellent anti-vibe, light and run just about forever on a tank of fuel.

They respond quite well to a muffler mod. The coil has some sort of spark retard module built in, at least that's what my contact at Echo told me. They aren't hgih rpm's right to start with, so set the "H" screw for heavy 4 stroking and slightly power loss, then sneak up on the best setting by making a few cuts and leaning it up slightly each time. They reach a point where power and cutting speed doesn't increase any, so I stay close to that setting or just a tad richer. Leaning them up does NOTHING for increasing cutting speed, those engines are not designed for high rpm's, more of a mid-range design with a LOT more grunt than one would ever expect from the cc's.....Cliff
attachment.php

attachment.php
Did you just remove the cat from the muffler or did you drill it out as well?

I modded the muffler just as seen in the above pics and removed the carb adjustment limiters and this saw woke right up. Pretty impressive for its size.

I modded the muffler just as seen in the above pics and removed the carb adjustment limiters and this saw woke right up. Pretty impressive for its size.

i did all that to mine including gutting the muffler but also cut the deflector to where it had a straight shot out of the muffler,,,will post a pic shortly

CS-370 great saw

These are great little saws, I have had one for a few years now and it is my loaner saw. Seems everyone who uses it loves the saw. I have had a couple people even go buy new ones. And the best thing with all the abuse it gets it has never broken. It actually worn out the original bar, and Ireplaced it with a arbor pro,other than that great saw, I wish they all were as tough as this 370. enjoy your new saw. Also mine has a modded muffler, and trimmed carb limiters, from day one.

Could someone post up there 370 4 stroking so i could hear it?

Mine isn't modded at all but it still cuts very well for a mid-30's cc saw. I tuned mine just like Cliff said by over-richening it and leaning it out until it cuts fastest in the wood. Once broken in, it will be even more impressive for you.

i don't know about this saw, but the talk of a "digital, spark retard module" makes me think it might have a rev limiting coil. if so, tuning it by ear is a dangerous proposition. it is easy to mistake the limiter for four-stroking. limited saws need to be tuned by tach or in the cut.

Thsi site helped me figure out four-stroking better than anyone describing it.

http://www.madsens1.com/saw carb tune.htm
I read that but still couldnt hear the saw doing it. I figured ill just take it in a shop.
i don't know about this saw, but the talk of a "digital, spark retard module" makes me think it might have a rev limiting coil. if so, tuning it by ear is a dangerous proposition. it is easy to mistake the limiter for four-stroking. limited saws need to be tuned by tach or in the cut.

Ya ive been reading people can hear it 4 stroke and others cant i think after the 3rd tank i put thru it im gonna mod the muffler and take it in to a shop to get it tuned.

if i have any doubt of the limiter or it 4 stroking sound,,i will richen it up until the rpms start falling and have smoke and then back it off 1/4 turn and that usually brings the rpms back up a tad and less smoking

Did you just remove the cat from the muffler or did you drill it out as well?

The holes at the back of the "can" were opened up some. The deflector was left in place, but opened up a bit as well. I wanted to keep the noise under control some, which this accomplished quite well. It's louder than stock, but still not obnoxiously loud. Sounds raspy, and clean/smooth in the cut......Cliff

Back