Got some Red Oak today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey-

Nice pile ! With the weather forecasts I keep hearing, you'll be using that pretty soon.

Great job! Good looking stack.

I don't believe I've ever seen Red Oak. Is it mainly found in the TN area?

Well thanks for the advice, I was thinking of renting one just to see if I would like it.
Ditto on Locust Cutter's assessment. When I use mine vertical I lift, scoot, and spin the big ones into position with a hookeroon/pickeroon. It helps a lot to save the back. I have been watching the log lifter possibilities lately also. Of course the 440 is plenty big to noodle.

Great job! Good looking stack.

I don't believe I've ever seen Red Oak. Is it mainly found in the TN area?
From what I read they are mostly from the Mississippi east but there are quite a few around here, this is my second haul this year of red oak.

Red Oak has always been around here, it is the #1 wood used for hardwood flooring. It seems to have benefited from the acid rain problem, seems to like acidic soil a lot more than most other trees, so the #s R growing.

It is one of the heaviest (if not the heaviest) trees in the woods, and has resulted in deaths around here when it has crashed through the roof.

White Oak is a lot less common, and I don't see any at my upstate (Catskill Mtns) property.

Red Oak has always been around here, it is the #1 wood used for hardwood flooring. It seems to have benefited from the acid rain problem, seems to like acidic soil a lot more than most other trees, so the #s R growing.

It is one of the heaviest (if not the heaviest) trees in the woods, and has resulted in deaths around here when it has crashed through the roof.

White Oak is a lot less common, and I don't see any at my upstate (Catskill Mtns) property.
We've got as much, if not more, Red Oak as we do White Oak.

Red Oak is for firewood
White Oak is for Equipment/ Lowboy Trailer Floors

Although I believe Red Oak is the #1 wood used for Hardwood Flooring, White Oak was used in the past for Ship Building, and I hear they still use it for the locks on the Erie Canal. Can't find anything synthetic that works as well.

In the US it ranks at the top just behind Osage Orange and Hickory. Osage Orange is 55lbs per cu. ft and Ash around 40 to compare good firewood found here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, it is printing!

The chart U posted shows the wet weight, (like a fallen tree), and Red Oak is 63 lbs per cubic foot compared to 64 lbs for Shag Hickory!

WOW, 32" diameter Red Oak is 351 lbs per foot, and we were cutting them about 2' lengths (Matt has a barrel stove). No wonder I needed my Timber jack!

I was pretty fond of a Air Guard girl that I went to tech school with years ago. She lived in Cohose and had a cabin on Lake Sacandaga in the Adirondaks... It wasn't the Catskills, but it was still beautiful. I had no idea that Upstate NY was as gorgeous as it is. Visiting here there was an experience I still treasure.

NY is far more diverse than a lot of people realize. When my sister got married, a couple came in from CO, and they could not believe the scenery near Breakneck Ridge (Cold Spring). FYI, they are both beautiful, but the Adirondack Mtns are the larger ones.

8fd279770196554dff4963c999fe3e4d.jpg

Loved ur pile! A man is away proud of there wood piles. The tarp on top is a 30'X25

We've got as much, if not more, Red Oak as we do White Oak.

Red Oak is for firewood
White Oak is for Equipment/ Lowboy Trailer Floors
White oak is best served up quarter sawn and kiln dried in a wood shop makes beautiful cabinets and millwork.

That what I got white oak, ash, maple.:) fire burning hot tonight. Every year me and my wife stand outside and gander at the pile and alway ask each other "Is it enough" lol

It brakes the back in a way that makes u feel good

White oak and red oak are groups of trees within the many many types of oaks there are.
For example, the willow oak, water oak, pin oak, jack oak, shumard oak, nuttall oak, etc etc are trees in the red oak family (there's dozens)

Latest posts

Back