got two new jobs....while shopping

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheLumberJack

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just finished up for the day and decided to go to Ace Hardware to look at Stihl saws...

I was there for probably 3 minutes and an old timer come hobblin up to me and asked me if i own any Stihls....we go to talkin and he has 7 blown down oaks. We talked and talked and talked...he must have said how nice it was to talk to me 5 times..he seemed like a lonely fella but we hit it off. Long story short....i'm headed over there tomorrow morning to give him an estimate. After he left i bought the $6 Stihl hat he tried on but didn't buy...gonna give it to him.

And....while all of this was going on I handed a card to lady who asked me if I had a card because she had a blown over willow in front of her antique store...And...she called 30 minutes later and commited to a Friday a.m. job.

not bad for shopping at the hardware store!

Hey LumberJack! Its all what you put in the funnel. You put nothing in, you get nothing out! Put lots in ... ya get the picture.. Good job man, nice one with the hat!

Hey LumberJack! Its all what you put in the funnel. You put nothing in, you get nothing out! Put lots in ... ya get the picture.. Good job man, nice one with the hat!

Nice one with the hat is right. Thats really cool.;)

Where is Wexford. Only blow downs I'm getting in Northeast PA. is punky poplars.

Kevin

thanks all!

Wexford is 10 miles north of Pittsburgh.

These blow downs and the other local ones I've heard about were still results of Ike last year. We had some significant winds....not disastrous but apparently the questionable leaners didn't withstand.

I was driving home after grinding a couple of jobs. Was about 1 and was already raining and nasty. I'm going down the interstate and was about to change lanes and noticed a Yukon coming up pretty fast in the lane I was going to move to. I thought I would just wait until she passed and then move on over. She came barreling up beside me and then hit the brakes and stayed right beside me. At first I kind of rolled my eyes until I realized she was writing my name and number down from my magnet sign. As she sped up, she pointed to my sign and waved so hopefully, I got a job while driving down I-55.

Dropped off a bill today to the local village for a small take down. The secretary and the new mayor want me to stop up and give them estimates. So a good day all around it seems.

Nice gesture with the hat.

I did a 10K job for an older guy about two years ago. Three large removals with a crane. I came in lower than his first estimate. When he called to tell me I had the job he said he was going to buy the biggest bottle of Weller's Scotch he could find, bite the bullet and let me do the job. After I finished the job and collected I went to the liquor store, bought the biggest bottle of Weller's Scotch I could find and left it on his front porch.

I can't believe nobody has asked:

What saw did you buy?

Can't tell us you can't afford one...if you didn't go shopping, you would have 2 fewer clients - that should pay for a saw all by itself.

I can't believe nobody has asked:

What saw did you buy?

Can't tell us you can't afford one...if you didn't go shopping, you would have 2 fewer clients - that should pay for a saw all by itself.

Bought a little oil...that's it!

I'm right where I want to be with saws...although that 361 looked tasty.....

I pick up alot of jobs and pass out alot of cards to customers who ask at the gas station. I always joke that when it gets slow I should stop in to the gas station 5-6 times a day...... Mike

Do good work, talk to people, treat'em fair, and they sell you to their fam and friends keeping you busy! Good job, glad to hear, and nice gesture with the hat!- Kevin

Good for you, TheLumberJack. It never hurts to be polite and civil.

Believe it or not, but I get a fair bit of work while I'm at the garbage dump. I do quite a bit of work in Cottage country and on Sunday evening, when most of the cottagers are dropping off their garbage on the way home, I'll drop off my weeks garbage with my chipper in tow and end up chatting with the dump worker for an hour or two. People sometimes notice the sign on the truck, but everyone notices the chipper. It is usually good for one or two jobs a week.

Still cleaning up after Ike?

thanks all!

Wexford is 10 miles north of Pittsburgh.

These blow downs and the other local ones I've heard about were still results of Ike last year. We had some significant winds....not disastrous but apparently the questionable leaners didn't withstand.

Glad to know where there is still some work left to do, I'll be right there with bucket and chipper and BIG cardboard sign saying "$50 less than the other guy" till I get you caught up . . . KIDDING!!!!

Awesome idea with the hat, why can't we all be half as thoughtful? ;)

Latest posts

Back