Government reaching to govern wood burning consumers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodchuckcanuck

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
As I expected, the Canadian fed gov is slowly reaching in to place controls on the wood burning marketplace. Like all things they want to impose on its citizen, they start with small and subtle changes to impose new rules to the general population. They start with only imposing on specific groups, generally businesses. The sort of impositions that the general public would think, "It doesn't affect me so why should I care." Such impositions will eventually apply to homeowner's with wood boilers, and eventually those with smaller wood stoves. You could anticipate a situation where such regulation agencies work with insurance companies to require annual or bi-annual inspections of residential wood stoves requiring repairs to gaskets, bricks, flu parts. Then possibly they will impose regulations on dryness of the wood supply. It's already being done in Europe. There's all sort of regs and articles, like this one from across the pond.

As I expected, the Canadian fed gov is slowly reaching in to place controls on the wood burning marketplace. Like all things they want to impose on its citizen, they start with small and subtle changes to impose new rules to the general population. They start with only imposing on specific groups, generally businesses. The sort of impositions that the general public would think, "It doesn't affect me so why should I care." Such impositions will eventually apply to homeowner's with wood boilers, and eventually those with smaller wood stoves. You could anticipate a situation where such regulation agencies work with insurance companies to require annual or bi-annual inspections of residential wood stoves requiring repairs to gaskets, bricks, flu parts. Then possibly they will impose regulations on dryness of the wood supply. It's already being done in Europe. There's all sort of regs and articles, like this one from across the pond.
Not looking forward to this one bit 👎🏼

The same government that wants us to be green and save the planet, literally creates wastelands across the globe. How about telling me the Carbon footprint in Ukraine. I guess electric tanks would help right?
Yeah, help their stock in China companies that produce the batteries!

We're not terribly far off in the states. The epa is killing off wood furnaces/stoves at a pretty alarming rate. Insurance companies are pretty rough with haveing wood heat in your house to boot. Was an act of congress and a separate rider policy to get my place insured when we bought it because it's primary heat source is wood. (Or coal is you wanted.)
There's no such thing as being green, it's just another way to take money out of our pockets

I live in the South, and have an Electric Heat Pump. When the temp gets below about 25, our fireplace is a absolute help. People will have to use a lot more electricity via resistance heating if the Govt. make heating with firewood more difficult. I'd love an outdoor furnace, but installation would be too difficult in this house. We sell firewood, so that would be a win/win for me!

I live in the South, and have an Electric Heat Pump. When the temp gets below about 25, our fireplace is a absolute help. People will have to use a lot more electricity via resistance heating if the Govt. make heating with firewood more difficult. I'd love an outdoor furnace, but installation would be too difficult in this house. We sell firewood, so that would be a win/win for me!
Crooks, they have an agenda!

I deal with a representative of our local Clean Air agency on a regular basis. They have an incentive program to pay for part of the cost of a wood heat to electric heat pump conversion. When I asked if they would pay for a generator to run my heat pump when my power is out she just glared at me. I pointed out that in the 13 years I have been in my house there has only been one winter where I didn't have a multi hour power outage, and most of those happen when the weather is cold. We were without power for 17 hours with the weather into the teens, 30 mph winds and enough snow to make many driveways impassable this month. That's not uncommon for us. We are also one of the last areas in our county to get power restored, because of the relatively low population density. I truly understand reducing the fine particulate matter where possible, but mandates are rarely a good thing.

I've always wondered why the particulate specs in Canada are so much higher than those in the US.
With the latest 2020 USA /EPA specs, I believe the maximum gph is 2.5.

Many stove models are no longer offered due to this requirement

Yet in Canada I see stoves for sale in the 4-4.5 gph range

You'd think the land of AWEsomeness would revise their stove specs as well.

I bought my retirement property a couple of years ago ( Ontario Canada, North Bay area). I noticed that a lot of listing showed where the fireplace / wood stove, had been removed.. You couldn't get a mortgage, or insurance unless the stove / fireplace was "WETT" certified. It was obviously easier to remove the heating appliance than to replace it to meet certification. It also made the sale easier for the vendor and buyer, as even having a WETT certified heater would jack up the home insurance rates..

I deal with a representative of our local Clean Air agency on a regular basis. They have an incentive program to pay for part of the cost of a wood heat to electric heat pump conversion. When I asked if they would pay for a generator to run my heat pump when my power is out she just glared at me. I pointed out that in the 13 years I have been in my house there has only been one winter where I didn't have a multi hour power outage, and most of those happen when the weather is cold. We were without power for 17 hours with the weather into the teens, 30 mph winds and enough snow to make many driveways impassable this month. That's not uncommon for us. We are also one of the last areas in our county to get power restored, because of the relatively low population density. I truly understand reducing the fine particulate matter where possible, but mandates are rarely a good thing.
:)

We live in the same area, in different countries. And they are trying to pass the same incentives of people getting heat pumps. Good luck I say. We're not even to the end of January and we've already had 3 power outages. We typically get about a dozen a year. I have a large Lennox heat pump that does the whole house, installed when we built it 18 years ago. I think it's been about 10 years since we've used it as a source of heat. We do run i tin the summer for a/c from time to time.

:)

I think it's been about 10 years since we've used it as a source of heat. We do run i tin the summer for a/c from time to time.
I do run mine for basic heat, it's set for about 64 F. For comfort heat we use the stove, but I doubt my heat pump has run much in the last few weeks. Now that we are back to a warmer than average winter, I'll light a fire when I get up in the morning and when I get home after work and let them burn hot and go out, let the heat pump run at night.

When I purchased my outdoor boiler a few years back I had do certify that it was going to be heating a farm building or I had to buy a fancy gasser unit. No one cared that I also ran pipes to the house. Many people around us heat with wood and almost all have outdoor boilers. My insurance guy put the boiler on my policy as if it were another building. He didn’t care in the least.

As a people we will be regulated until we can’t even stand up without a permit.

Latest posts

Back