Granberg edge mill not stable on v-rails?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SCMtnHaul

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've been playing around with the edge mill but find that it's very easy to get wavy edges because the v-rails flex like crazy in the middle. Now I'm sure I can remedy this by drilling another 1 or 2 holes but I was also curious if others were experiencing the same thing. Always gotta' make sure it's not just me doing something wrong, ya' know?

I've been playing around with the edge mill but find that it's very easy to get wavy edges because the v-rails flex like crazy in the middle. Now I'm sure I can remedy this by drilling another 1 or 2 holes but I was also curious if others were experiencing the same thing. Always gotta' make sure it's not just me doing something wrong, ya' know?
Pics?

Sorry no pics. I've only milled a few beams but I noticed while pushing the saw & mill forward that the v-rail would often flex away from the cut. Maybe I was in a hurry and used too much force or added some unintended sideways pressure. I was using a factory fresh ripping chain from Granberg on a 661 with a 16" bar so no lack of power or screwed up chain. I suspect the v-rail material is a bit wimpy for the task.

Looking at a Woodcraft comparison video of it vs a lumbermaker, there does look like a lot of flex in the V-rail. Looks like an overcomplicated system compared to old school simple lumbermaker attachments. But there's some flex in either. Not sure that's your problem. I don't want to endlessly question Granberg's ripping chain, but something to consider - I've read too many accounts of scalloping with factory fresh Granberg ripping chain on conventional Alaskans where another chain has solved the problem. With an uneven grind, and no clamp on the outer end to guide it in an edge mill, the waviness is really going to be a problem. The whole issue with a Granberg grind is it's still a human mod of a machine produced chain. Someone at the Granberg factory is grinding those scoring teeth to half width and creating that custom grind from normal chain. It's near impossible to achieve uniform consistency. It's a fine design, but until they machine-produce that chain to a uniform tooth consistency, there are always going to be some chains that are screwed up fresh out of the box. I got some Laser lo pro chain they copied the Granberg grind on, and though it works fine it has pretty wild inconsistency in the amounts ground off each tooth. So the teeth don't have to be perfect, but any imbalance too much of the teeth on one side and much greater chance the chain's gonna dig off toward one side. I love their Alaskan mills, but like their edge mill, I think Granberg has made their ripping chain unnecessarily complicated and open to giving bad results. Try any other chain, even a cross cut chain, and see if you have the same problem.

Back