granberg ripping chain and ripping chain in general question!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whats the deal on this chain?? Any good? Or is this the way all ripping chain is made like carlton for example?? scoring then clearing cutters...

http://www.granberg.com/ripping_chain.html

Some people like it, other find it makes no difference in speed. Regular ripping chain is the same as regular chain but the top plate angles are set at 10º compared to 25 or 30º for regular chain.

ripping vs regular chain

I noticed that the regular chain pulled into the wood more than the Granburg chain did, on the Alaskan mill. It took more manual forward pressure on the ripping chain. Surprised me. The ripping chain cut was a little smoother, but not by much.

chain cut

From what I could tell the difference was negligible. I would use either surface for my projects at this point so I will buy no more ripping chains for the rough work.

I also have a new Logosol M7 that cuts smoother than the Granburg or regular chain, but is a lot faster and smoother because of the pulling method vs pushing.

The granberg chain does leave a slightly smoother surface than bailey's ripping chain. I personaly don't care for the granberg ripping chain because it cuts slower and takes longer to sharpen. doing a touch up in the field is no problem but when using a file jig and seting the rakers it is a PITA. I have two barely used loops of granberg chain, one very worn loop of bailey's ripping chain, one worn out loop or bailey's ripping chain and one loop of bailley's ripping chain on order.

Latest posts

Back