Grease choices

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonCraig

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
This is probably a dumb question, but here goes:

I recently used grease to hold the needles of a lower rod bearing in place during installation. Read about it on here. That got me thinking about what the grease does over time.

Will the grease keep 2 cycle oil from reaching the bearing?

Will the gas slowly dissolve the grease, making it a non issue?

What grease do you guys use (if any?)

I know a lot about oil and next to nothing about grease. Educate me? Or does it even matter?

This is the only grease I have in my garage. Not sure how it compares to better stuff:

image.jpeg

long ago,,when I started to rebuild auto trannys,,guy said to use Vaseline on the seals and thrust washers....why???? because as soon as it hits about 100 degrees..it melts.....in the case of trans,,mixes with the atf.. chainsaw,, disappears in the exhaust

Using grease to hold small parts in place in small carbs:

Awhile back I was using the RED EP2 grease (that is the grease gun cartridge type grease) and using it to hold small springs in place when assembling carb kits and found that the grease turned white and stiff when the gasoline contacted the grease. It was stiff enough that it could have held open a little reed type flap valve in a carb pump. When I placed some of the Red EP2 on a screwdrive tip and submerged the RED EP2 in gasoline the grease eventually turned white and the gas was not melting the EP2 grease. (kinda looked like thick white soap)
I went back to using very thin coat of Vaseline to hold the carb pump springs in place and then very sparingly.

Latest posts

Back