Grease For Sprocket Drum Bearing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Log Man

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Would this be a good grease for the sprocket drum bearing and oil pump drive on my Stihl chainsaw?

MK-WS2-HT High Temperature EP Grease with WS2.

Temp Range -20 degrees C (-4 degrees F) to 800 degrees C (1472 degrees F)
Dropping Point higher than 320 degrees C (608 degrees F)
Load Bearing 300,000 PSI

It has lowest coefficient of friction, exellent Extreme Pressure (EP) properties, high resistance to water, rust, and humid environment. EP properties and strong resistance to abrasion means grease is ideal for high load and impact load applications. This grease is made in Canada.

I found it available at Lower Friction.com for $20.00/14oz. Tube.

Oregon makes a nice blue grease pen,insert in hole on sprocket nose and walow grease fills the roller nose when you push down.

Stihl makes a tube of white multipurpose grease for the drum bearing the Oregon grease will also work.

Last edited:
Oregon makes a nice blue grease pen,insert in hole on sprocket nose and walow grease fills the roller nose when you push down.

Bro...Topic is...sprocket DRUM bearing...Not bar sprocket tip bearing..!!

Easily mis-read...but 90% of folks here DON'T grease the bar sprocket tip bearing..!!
:cheers:
J2F

Clutch Slip

Thanks to everyone for the posts and information.

I helped kids race karts for 10 years and the biggest problem was grease would hit the dropping point (melting point) and make the clutch slip even at WOT. This was checked by electronic lap timers on the track, same day, same engine, fresh clutch, same tires, same air pressure, and same driver. We won 6 Track Championships when we changed the grease. We finally used Plumbers grease - melting point 485 degrees F - that was best I could find at the time. I didn't know if this would effect the chainsaw the same way and increase cutting time. I will be cutting big white oak in two weeks and I will check the sproket drum temps with my pyrometer.

Bro...Topic is...sprocket DRUM bearing...Not bar sprocket tip bearing..!!
Easily mis-read...but 90% of folks here DON'T grease the bar sprocket tip bearing..!!
:cheers:
J2F

J2F,

The STIHL-only credentials in your signature are showing!

On most STIHL saws, you can pop off the 'E'-clip, washer, sprocket, and clutch drum to reach the sprocket DRUM bearing and grease it. I use a little dab of the STIHL white grease on a toothpick and work it all around.

On Husqvarnas, the outboard clutches make this more difficult to do this way, but many of them have a hollow crank on the sprocket end, with a lateral hole drilled right where the sprocket DRUM bearing sits. You place the grease gun ratso noted against this end of the crank, pump it once or twice, and the sprocket DRUM bearing is lubed. Voila!

Philbert

I Found This Grease Today - BETTER PRICE!

attachment.php

I found this this Waterproof Green Grease today at Autozone --- $6.00 / 14 oz. Tube

It's a Synthetic Polymer Grease --- Operating Temperature Range -20* F - 500* F.

Drop Point over 800* F.

It is also excellent for Boat Trailer Wheels that you back in the water.

Better Price and No Shipping.

Whatever I have in the nearest grease gun. Usually a High metals GP bearing and chasis lube with specs for high temps.

Just a dab on the finger and worked into the needle cage whenever I have the clutch off.
I resist using the grease gun on the Outboard Huskys because of all the grit that gets pushed into the bearing, and over lubing...resulting in grease getting into the drum.

It's not rocket surgery. Just a dab of slippery/sticky gorp now and then.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

light film of what evers on my bench , it just takes a dab, one of thoughs times were more is not better.

My Grand-Pappy would say "Any grease is better than no grease at all"

He was a big fan of Pennzoil Pennlith Ultra EP Grease. I still use this grease today in everything that requires it.

Back