Great day in Northern VA

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was able to adjust my schedule this week to allow a Saturday off in Northern VA. I made arrangements in advance to meet Hoss (Ian Chambers) and we started the day by stopping to see Thall.
attachment.php

Hoss and Tommy

attachment.php

I'm smiling because Tommy gave me a nice new Sthil cap.

attachment.php

We went out to Hoss's shop somewhere in Virginia and took out a bunch of his big saws to make cookies from a phone pole.

attachment.php

Hoss showing the proper technique for drop starting a 100cc PM100.

attachment.php

I got to make cookies with the PM100 as well. Our sawbuck was a desk that Tommy gave Hoss.

More to come...

Mark

More fun in Northern VA

attachment.php

Hoss's work bench complete with several projects in works. That's my big diet Pepsi in the styrofoam cup.

attachment.php

Sorry about the poor quality photo's, my camera is not really very good. I counted 25 saws on the shelves, all runners and all big CC saws.

attachment.php

Hoss with the McCulloch 73. This is a really strong old saw, but it weighs over 50 pounds. See the cookie fly...

attachment.php

I customized my chaps with the spinning flywheel cover on the 73 right off the bat. I wasn't quite man enough to hold it away from my body while it was running. Hoss will have to remind us which big Homelite saw this is.

More yet, don't go away.

Mark

I got me one of those Stihl log rollers like the ones behind Mr. Thall... got the log stand option too.:clap:
attachment.php

Last edited:
A few more big ones...

attachment.php

Hoss making another cookie fly with the Homelite 990-G. Hey Bill, would you like a piece of this one?

attachment.php

I have to lean back a bit further to counterbalance the 990 G.

attachment.php

The first batch we ran.

attachment.php

For the Stihl guys, is this the 084?

attachment.php

I have to lean back on this one too....

A pair of strong red Homelites.

Hey, there's more to come...

Mark

If you don't mind, where is his dealership located? I live down in Luray, not too far from the Northern Va area. I'd like to check it out.

now that is calling it really close to my dads sister she lives in luray

heimannm good pictures reminds me of them virginia mountains

near elkton area

Last edited:
Here's some more...

Sorry, here are the Homelites referenced in the earlier post but not pictured...
attachment.php

attachment.php

No day with big saws would be complete without a spin on the SP125. I ran Hoss's 797 earlier and didn't think it was quite so strong, then Hoss took to compression release off for me and it really came to life. Nice saw but I did't get a picture of the 797 in action.

attachment.php

Hoss touching up the chain on the big one...

attachment.php

Stihl 090

attachment.php

Hoss makes this look like a toy

Mark

One more set to come!

Tommy Hall's shop is in Leesburg, VA. Hopefully Hoss can jump in and tell everyone the name of the hardware store it's connected to...T&W or something along that line.

Last set, I promise...

attachment.php

I had to lean way back to balance the weight and the pull of the 090.

attachment.php

I really liked the Jonsered 111s (my first new saw every was a 621), the Dolmar 152 sounds great for a piston ported saw (I like the big reed valve sound), the Husqvarna 2100 pulls pretty well and runs and feels good too, and the 750 and 540 Homelites both pull very well.

If I fouled up identifying any of the saws today it is because I was completely overwhelmed with all the great stuff on hand today, sorry.

attachment.php

Proud Papa with some of his fine collection.

I started the day with a phone call to Scooterbum, also in the area but unfortunately we could not get together today.

Thanks Hoss for a great day, thanks Tommy for the great hat (Hey, I own an 036 and an 066!), and thanks Scooterbum for the offer on the McCarburetor. I will do my best to make it right with you.

Mark

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

All I wanna know is who is the big guy in the first picture in this thread, the one on the left without the hat,LOL

Was good to have you guys stop in. Sorry yaw got to witness me insult a Chinese saw owner today but it was in me, had to come out,haha

The rest of the story...

While we were visting a customer came in looking for "a tool to adjust the idle on my Homelite".

Tommy handed him one of the small orange Stihl screw drivers.

The customer responds "that won't work, it's like a reverse torx or something"

Tommy replies "A new Homelite, how long have you had it?"

Customer "About a year..."

Tommy "And it still runs...?"

I am not sure there was an insult there...

attachment.php

Hoss making another cookie fly with the Homelite 990-G. Hey Bill, would you like a piece of this one?
Mark

Mark,

Yes I would but I know it is in a excellent home. I am thrilled to see the pics.

Bill

Latest posts

Back