Great estate sale find Pro Mac 700

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rotax Steve

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My estate sale scores! My wife was at an estate sale yesterday and saw a 10-10A. They were asking $30. It was really rough. Last night I was thinking I could clean it up and possibly get it running and resell it for 4 or 5 times the money or I can part it out. So this morning I went to look at it and I offered them $20 for it and they took it.
When I was paying for it, a guy from the estate sale company said 'did you see the other McCulloch chainsaw?'. He took me to a different area to show me and the first thing I saw was they were asking $150. 'You interested?' he asked. I said not for $150. He said, 'but this one is running, they started it yesterday'. I moved in closer and got very excited when I saw it was a Pro Mac 700 with a 24" bar.
'Let me start it for you' he said and was looking for the guy who started it the day before but that guy wasn't there. Here's the funny part - he asked another worker if he knew how to start it? He says, 'I can figure it out'. He moved the switch to the on position and pulled a few times (no go), then he said 'oh, we need to choke it' but he pushed in and opened the choke. Gave it a few more pulls (nothing). Then he said 'I think it needs primed' and proceeded to push on the oiler pump rod 😂. I didn't say anything 🙄. More pulls (nothing). I said 'don't wear yourself out, I'd be willing to give you 1/2' ($75). I ended up getting it for $90.
I haven't gotten into either of them - other than an initial wipe down (attaching before and after pics of both). The 700 looks great! I can't wait to go though it, put in some fresh fuel and get it running. I'm going to go through them both completely before I try to start them. If he was being honest when he said they had it running the day before; I don't think I'll have any problem getting this monster roaring again. I'll try to give you updates as I go but it may not be often because I have a lot of other things going on but when I really start to play with it I'll let you know.
Steve
Southern Idaho Screenshot_20230507-130721~2.pngScreenshot_20230507-130728~2.pngScreenshot_20230507-130757~2.png

Update on the two saws I got at the estate sale. The 10-10A throttle handle/gas tank was in two pieces. The handle was snapped off and the only thing holding it in place was the the throttle linkage and the oiler pump rod. I had a spare and swapped it out and got it running in short time. Starts easy and sounds good.
The 700 is a different story. I think the estate people were not being honest when they said they had it running the day before because there was no spark. I pulled the starter off and it was filled with wood/oil debris. I'm familiar with 10-10's and as I was cleaning I wanted to make sure I was careful with cleaning around the condenser but found there is no condenser and there are no points.
Here's my lack of knowledge - does the 700 with electronic ignition have fixed timing? The IPL show's timing information and breaker point settings.
I'm at a loss right now.
Also the coil that was on it looks just like a 610. Is it the same coil?
Seeking knowledge and experience with my delimia.
Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20230513_152225575_HDR~2.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20230605_152921485_HDR~2.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20230605_152616267_HDR~2.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 2
Update on the two saws I got at the estate sale. The 10-10A throttle handle/gas tank was in two pieces. The handle was snapped off and the only thing holding it in place was the the throttle linkage and the oiler pump rod. I had a spare and swapped it out and got it running in short time. Starts easy and sounds good.
The 700 is a different story. I think the estate people were not being honest when they said they had it running the day before because there was no spark. I pulled the starter off and it was filled with wood/oil debris. I'm familiar with 10-10's and as I was cleaning I wanted to make sure I was careful with cleaning around the condenser but found there is no condenser and there are no points.
Here's my lack of knowledge - does the 700 with electronic ignition have fixed timing? The IPL show's timing information and breaker point settings.
I'm at a loss right now.
Also the coil that was on it looks just like a 610. Is it the same coil?
Seeking knowledge and experience with my delimia.
Thanks.

The later 700s had electronic ignition.

I thought I was posting in the McCulloch section. Is it not? How do I do that?
For now just click the "McCulloch Chain Saw" words in my reply to you or your reply back to me.
Or when you go to "Forums" scroll down to "Chainsaw" but dont click it, click the "Chainsaw stickies". Scroll thru for the thread.

Back