Question I picked up a ms250

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never noticed that on 025's.
Probably just some 250s I am thinking.
Paying close attention for the pop it shouldn't be a problem once used to the saws characteristics. Seldom more then 5or6 pulls until the cylinder is primed on full choke. If pulled more then that I go to full throttle, no choke which usually gets a flooded saw going in several pulls if not severely flooded. By yourself I drop start with the chain brake on. Not reccomending drop starting for safety reasons but i don't get in a hurry and do it carefully.

It's runs I got a deal guys shop wanted $110. I got for $90 as people wanting it kept flooding it so couldn't get going then shop owner fired it up for me said people where flooding it took him like 3 pulls.
Another great upgrade is to replace the B&C with 3/8" LP like its smaller cousins use. You will likely have to also buy a new 3/8" LP sprocket or better yet a rim sprocket conversion kit. This should let it keep up with a MS260... almost.

There are maybe six different carbs for a MS250. Add a primer and you double that.

So, it is hard to say whether some may flood worse than others. Probably.

The MS271 is OK. Don't care much for the oil pump. And, if you are going to keep one it would be a good idea to find a dealer to richen it up a tad.

I just started a Stihl 025 today that behaved as Brushwacker described in post #21. It's been sitting unused for nearly two years and was stubborn, but after 5 or 6 choke pulls I took it off choke and it fired up on the next pull. Engine runs beautifully and I intend to use it tomorrow. For their size and weight, they are great little saws with good power. I sold one five years ago and the owner still loves using it today. :)

Back