Green Ash Changing Color Early

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suaf

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

This site as really been helpful, so thought I'd throw out another question...

Along my parkway are Green Ash trees probably about 40 years old. While it was obvioously stupid to have planted the same species, should disease strike, I have noticed that the Ash in front of my house is changing colors earlier than the majority of the trees in my neighborhood. We had a server drought in the region this year, but I am sure I watered mine more than many of the neighbors did theirs. As well, this is probably of no consequence, but during the Summer, there were huge brown mushrooms that continually were sprouting about 10 feet from the base of the tree. none were at the actual base, so I figure this is just a mushroom that popped up and spred seeds etc. Should I be concerned? I don't know the type of mushroom and they seem to have disappeared either due to changings temps. or because I kept running over them with my mulching mower.

So the 2 questions reaal are:

1) Should I be concerned about the relatively early change in leaf color relative to my neighbors' of the Ash tree?

2) Should I be concerned about the mushrooms about 10 feet from the base of the tree that were there over the Summer?

Thanks so much!

I had an extensive response written and then accidentally closed my browser so well go back to short and sweet.

The mushrooms were there because the climate was right, the host was there and the spore was present. These saprophytic fungi feed on decaying organic (dead wood) matter much the same was parasites (mosquitos) feed on living organic matter (people). It is possible that they are there because of a dead root, however if a sizable root died and was decaying, there should be corresponding decline in the canopy of the tree.

This fungal activity can also be a product of decaying thatch from turf clippings. There are turf diseases like fairy ring that produce mushrooms as a result of this fungal activity relating to the decaying turf matter.

Lastly, differences in variety of Green Ash as well as differences in micro-climate could be contributing factors to why your Ash is yellowing before the others around yours. Green Ash (Fraxinus americana) does have varieties that have ever so slight differences in canopy size, shape and perhaps tolerance of certain stress factors.

Not to worry this time of year but do keep an eye on it through the fall and as it pushes new growth next season to make sure no other things seem strange.

Thanks so much for the explanation. I would hate to lose this tree that is quite large and adds real value and curb appeal not only to my home, but the neighborhood. Thank you and I will surely keep an eye on it!

Your right. It was late and for some reason I had americana stuck in my head and it dawned on me today that it was pennsylvanica.

Thanks for the heads up.

helpmytrees said:
Your right. It was late and for some reason I had americana stuck in my head and it dawned on me today that it was pennsylvanica.

Thanks for the heads up.

The other mistake, is that when you have an indication of tree stress (early fall color), and mushrooms growing at or near the tree base, caution flags should go off!
This situation needs a qualified arborist, on site.

I had an aroborist come out and take a look. The mushrooms are now gone I guess due to the season change. He sad the tree appears to be healthy and could have a dead root, some sort of blockage as it is a parkway tree. The bottom line is that there are a number of factors that could have cause the early color change. In just the past couple days, the other Ash trees around have pretty much caught up to mine in their color change. Seems the tree is most likely fine (I hope)!!

Mike Maas said:
The other mistake, is that when you have an indication of tree stress (early fall color), and mushrooms growing at or near the tree base...

I wouldn't really consider 10 feet "at or near the base". As far as butress rot or decay in the stem is concerned the fungal growth would be on the trunk or at the root flare.

I don't necessarily think that it is early for fall color on a Green Ash. The argument can always be made and is pretty much a given that an on site visit from an arborist is ideal. Homeowners come to this forum to get input perhaps to have some knowledge ahead of time so they don't get jerked around.

Thanks for the input though, I'll make sure I include that in all my posts from now on.

Latest posts

Back