green/black walnut

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodshop

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Milled this up Friday evening after a black walnut tree fell over in Father-in-laws yard. Unique color walnut wood, never ran into this color before. Got about 50 bd ft of heartwood from 3 small logs. Enough for 3 or 4 small Shaker side tables like this oak one I built. (last pic)

NIce!!! Ive got some Black Walnut, milled the day it was cut down. I could almost squeze the water out of it.

Ive got 6- 5/4x14"x5' and 5-16/4x14"x5', those dimensions are the heartwood, knot free, and almost no end checking yet. Im not wood worker, and still dont know what to do with it yet. I checked inot finding a gunsmith, thought maybe it would make nice gunstock, but no one locally does it anymore.

CaseyForrest said:
NIce!!! Ive got some Black Walnut, milled the day it was cut down. I could almost squeze the water out of it.

Ive got 6- 5/4x14"x5' and 5-16/4x14"x5', those dimensions are the heartwood, knot free, and almost no end checking yet. Im not wood worker, and still dont know what to do with it yet. I checked inot finding a gunsmith, thought maybe it would make nice gunstock, but no one locally does it anymore.

Casey if I did the math right, you're looking at around 150 bd ft of lumber once its dry and S2S, and if it's top grade, no defects as you say, with those widths (anything over 10 inches you pay a premium) you would be paying close to $1000 retail for that stack around here. You might find it at a ma and pa local mill up in the country away from Philadelphia for less, but still worth some big bucks.

Yes 046, I do plan on selling this item at shows starting this fall. That is my first one of those though, so I kinda took extra time as I was designing jigs for it as I was building it, thus not sure how long it actually takes to build one from start to finish yet, thus not sure what to charge yet. Will know that after I make a small run of them. Going to make another oak, a walnut and a cherry and keep track of time/materials so I can price it out.

I enjoy the satisfaction of being able to go from a tree in somebodies back yard to to finished product in their living room. THAT is one of the biggest benefits for me of milling my own wood.

I agree Woodshop. Milling lumber from someones tree and then making them furniture from it is a wonderful experience for both the woodworker and the customer.

I started doing that when we had to cut down an apple tree and a spalted maple from my backyard. My wife's grandfather had planted them there 50 years ago. After doing that project I saw the benefit of offering it to others.

Tom

Adrpk said:
Is'nt the moment you lift off the slab and look at what you got the sweetest.
When I slice open a tree for the first time, I'm like a 52 year old kid in a candy store. Even if it turns out there are defects, I find myself calculating how I can slice it to get SOMETHING out of it. Usually turns into one of those time vs money things, where you can spend a day milling around defects and get some usable wood, but then... you spent a whole day doing that, so what did that wood really cost? Hey, at least milling is still enjoyable for me, even if I don't always come home with premium stuff.

CaseyForrest said:

There are plenty of outlets for the wood. I think if you want to get a gunstock maker then you need to dig the stumps out and saw the burls however. Walnut burl fetches a handsome price as does curly maple and about any other good burl. Many do not realize the stumps are far more valued than some of the trees. Shipping it to Japan is an option as well and may fetch you 100 times what you expect. Try the good old Google and you may be susprised what you can do. :)

Charlie

Back