green giant arborvitae won't grow

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gardener

Reaction score
We planted 7 green giants 2 years ago and they have not grown an inch! What can we do? Thanks.

Gardener,
That is pretty typical of newly transplanted trees. Often they have substantial root loss when they are sold and it takes a few years for the root system to recover to the point the tree can focus on vegetative growth again. I would say do your best to keep the roots cool and moist and the growth will come in time. I would not suggest fertilizer or any "stimulants" just good ol' H2O until you see the tree begin to push out some new growth. Patience and root TLC will be rewarded with a vigorous grower once it is established. good luck!

The thing to remember when planting something:

The first year they sleep.
The second year they creep.
The third year they leap.

It all depends on the roots--are they buried too deep, wrapped around the stem? Take some pictures of the point on the stem where the roots begin (the trunk flare) and post them here.

Did you buy them from a guy in Chatham County?

Arborvitae

My native arborvitaes respond well to decomposed peat spread out on the ground around their roots. Even better they like a couple inches of peat under their roots, but its too late to do that for yours.

Not knowing how you plant your trees, did you remove the cage and burlap at least 2/3 of the way from the top of the root ball? What type of soil did you plant your new trees in?

Also water and sun play a vital role....

in my climate some times some dont grow because of where they are planted.

Back