Green Timber twist question.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ibow

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi there,

I am new to this site so I'm unsure if I've posted this question in the right section...

I live in Northern Canada and I'm planning to build a shed this coming summer using 8"x6"x17' green Logdepole pine timbers that I'll mill myself. I was planning to mill them and use them this coming summer but was wondering if I mill them this winter and stack them in the yard(covered) will they twist and warp badly by summer?
The reason I ask is because it would save me time this summer plus it's easier to work in the bush in the winter here rather than fighting the bugs in the summer.
Any advice would be most appreciated.

With your dimensions of 8"x6"x17' you will have very little twist or warp. Just be certain to have a firm footing to stack your cants on and allow for uniform air circulation to dry them.

What diameter of lodgepole do you intend on harvesting? I haven't been out your ways for years but if I recall most of the mature lodgepole I saw was about 20-24" at the butt. Regardless with the cant size you want you will basically be squaring the log and your done, so you wont be affecting the heartwood.

If you stack them on a flat surface and strap them together with binding straps, you will minimize warp. Sometimes wood moves no matter what you do, but timber framing methods accommodate for the use of wood that is not uniform, so all is not lost unless you end up with pretzels. If you can, it's a good idea to cut one or two more timbers than you will need and use the best ones.

I agree with TallTom on the extra beams.

Not sure if you're up to speed on tree selection but if you can avoid cutting leaners and trees at the confluence of valleys/gulleys/rivers etc and on ridge tops (all high wind zones which create tension wood) you will have less wandering wood off the saw and on the stack. Good luck!

Hi All,

Thanks for the replies!

I'll definetly go for it if I can order some binding straps to the nearest town and pick them up. I'm really remote unfortunantly so I can't make it out to buy things in the winter or the home will freeze up.
I will be trying to cut tree's that are as small as possible to make the timbers to minimize wastage.
I suppose the biggest factor in my worry is that I'm in a mixed forest in rugged country so even thought there are a lot of pine I can't really access many of them so wasting the ones I can get is a big no no!

Thanks again!

if possible use wind fall, it will warp less because it has already dried.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back