grinder versus file specifically for stihl RSC

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikefunaro

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
So I've been thinking....

I prefer RSC over LGX or LPX for stay sharp qualities and for the fact that I can get a lot more life out of it.

RSC definitely beats up files more than LGX though, and takes a little more effort to get sharp. When I do sharpen it, while I can get it plenty sharp, I find that I can get Oregon chain a bit sharper. I have heard this attributed to the fact that RSC has a thicker layer of chrome which files less cleanly than the thinner layer on Oregon chain.

It was frequently said that hand filing can produce a sharper chain than grinding...

Do you guys think this is still the case with stihl chain--particularly RSC, given its thicker layer of chrome?

Last edited:
Said by the file nazis. :biggrin:

Personally, I can produce a sharper chain with a grinder.

No experience with Stihl chain.

I always heard you can get a sharper chain with a file but how long does it hold that edge? I dont even own a file and my chains cut better than new with a grinder, most likely not quite as good as a WELL sharpened file job but plenty good for me. Steve

I always heard you can get a sharper chain with a file but how long does it hold that edge? I dont even own a file and my chains cut better than new with a grinder, most likely not quite as good as a WELL sharpened file job but plenty good for me. Steve

I would find it difficult not have files on a job to touch up a chain. I never have a problem sharpening RSC with a GOOD file.

I personally think the cutters on Stihl chain are just harder than Oregon.
The thickness of the chrome wouldn't amount to a fart in a whirlwind.

I'll take the Oregon.

Mike

I would much prefer cutting with a hand sharpened chain.

That being said, most of my wood cutting is done with chain sharpened on a grinder.

I have touched up grinder sharpened chains when selling saws.

Folks say...Man that saw really cuts! Yup.

BTW, Stihl chain is my preference. No trouble yet, sharpening it with a file.

Last edited:
I've got only RS and RSC and a lot of it. I sharpen by either file or grinder, depending on what I feel like and how the chain is. I simply don't see any problem using files on RS chain. I don't know what all the complaints have to do with anything. I admit that if I need to take a bit more than usual off the cutters, the grinder is king.

The reason hand filing is better is because a grinder heats up the metal and weakens it. Therefore hand filing if done properly is always better.

With ALL due respect, the reason hand filing produces a sharper chain is simply that you can adjust for each individual cutter and the conditions you are cutting in.
You can sharpen each cutter as an individual and not just E Plubris Unim.

Mike

With ALL due respect, the reason hand filing produces a sharper chain is simply that you can adjust for each individual cutter and the conditions you are cutting in.
You can sharpen each cutter as an individual and not just E Plubris Unim.

Mike

That may be an additional reason why its better but grinding heats metal and heating metal ruins temper so with all due respect...

That may be an additional reason why its better but grinding heats metal and heating metal ruins temper so with all due respect...

Well... with all due respect, to all due respect;

Oh, wait, what were we respecting again?

I respect your answers!!!
After all I'm just a firewood cutter, so I am not expected to know what the REAL wood cutters know! LOL

Mike

Um, just trying to wrap my head around this.

I get the heat thing with the grinder. I get the tailoring to the individual cutter thing with the hand file.

But, ahem, wouldn't a chain cut more efficiently when sharpened with a grinder than by hand? I mean, if a grinder files each cutter exactly the same, and a hand file sharpens each cutter slightly differently based on the needs of each cutter, wouldn't a hand-filed chain become less and less efficient over time as each cutter becomes less and less like the other cutters?

This is way too much thinking for a Saturday night. I think it's time to eat some of my home-made venison stew and pound down a bunch of PBR. :D :D :D

Sharper means thinner, thinner is more delicate. I sharpen both by hand and with a grinder and find the chain "looks" better by hand but really havent found any performance differences. No personal preference here other than convenience and need.

It takes a lot of heat to affect temper. I can touch the chain after I grind it. I won't touch a chain after I pull it out of a nice long pull through maple. You tell me if grinding affects temper more than actual cutting - discounting those who don't know how to use a grinder properly.

I respect your answers!!!
After all I'm just a firewood cutter, so I am not expected to know what the REAL wood cutters know! LOL

Mike

I sure didn't mean to give the wrong impression at all.

I'm so low on the wood totem pole, I have to look up to firewood hacks!

What I have found:

Hand sharpened chains are more forgiving than machine sharpened ones. Not sure why, but the cutters can be off quite a bit and still cut extremely well and straight.

Not sure why (again), but hand sharpening a 3/8 chain seems to make a more noticable difference over a grinder sharpened chain, than hand vs. machine on 3/8 low pro, or .325 chain.

Finally, I do seem to get longer shavings from hand sharpened chain vs a grinder sharpened chain. Especially in harder woods.

Please keep in mind, the above is from someone who is aspiring to be a firewood hack some day!

Last edited:
When you sharpen one of your kitchen knives, do you sharpen them all whether they need it or not, just to keep them all uniform????

Mike

If you're gentle with the grinder, the heat won't be too much of an issue. If you lay on the wheel and blue the cutters, that's another story. All in all, the advantages of a grinder far outweigh the drawbacks if you do any amount of cutting. The consistency and correct angles that a grinder gives are very important. They have similar discussions on the machining forums about sharpening drills- some guys swear they can hand grind drills to cut better than any fancy machine. Sorry, but no one can match the accuracy and repeatability of a GOOD drill grinding machine.

I'm not arguing but I enjoy a good discussion so I'm going to continue. The edge that you are grinding would cool off pretty quickly as the coolness of the rest of the chain absorbed the heat so a hand test might not be that effective at determining how hot that small little surface gets when grinding. Since we are talking about a very thin layer that is actually the cutting edge it wouldn't take that much heat to affect the surface. If we were talking about the temper of a steel rod or something of the sort I would agree that a small amount of heat would not affect overall temper, as in the case of the chain below the surface that is sharpened.
I am not saying that everyone should hand file im just saying it gets em sharper. :)

I have no problem filing Stihl RSC with Stihl files, Husky, and Pferd. The Husky files don't last as long as the Stihl for me. Just got some Pferd files so can't comment on longevity of these with RSC chain.

I also use a grinder and have good results. Your not trying to remove half the tooth when your sharpening. Not sure how or why people take off enough metal to turn the cutters blue. When fixing damage take off a little from each tooth like you would when sharpening. Adjust and run them through again taking off a little more. And repeat if needed until damage is gone. Running all the cutters at the same setting and then adjusting will prevent heat buildup in the cutter.

Keep reading about how bad you can ruin a chain with a grinder and really don't get it. Common sense when using the tool should prevent any issue.

Last edited:
Back