Grinding a blown over stump

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ingram306

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So I have gotten a lot of jobs cleaning up after the storm and a lot of them are invoking uprooted stumps. For the most part the skid steer does the truck and flips them back into place. I have a few that just won't go back down. I have gotten them uprighted, they are just sitting way up above grade. Any tips or tricks? Or am I just going to have to spend an entire day grinding these? Thanks. -Chris

I did a cottonwood after the last windstorm. It was 12' high before the trunk was removed. It went about halfway back in the hole. No rocks around. It only took a few minutes of grinding before it started slumping down. When it was standing up, I cut the stump as close as I could to lower the counterweight. I notched both sides as high and deep as I could, then hit the middle, then the connecting roots. I think I was loaded up after 3 hours.

i just did a big ash 6 hrs 1500.00 cash :rock:

I'm moving to Long Island, that's good money. We grind out a lot of upturns, not that bad. Once you grind out the stump itself the roots are no longer attached to the stump or the ground so they just kind of fall off. We knock the dirt off of them with a mattock. Roots pull out, dirt and grindings back into the hole. You have to use a big grinder though.

Latest posts

Back