Grizzly/Viking splice DIY on bee line e2e tail

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IamWendel

IamWendel

I know this is a really old thread, but I’m surprised at how many nay-sayers there are. Sure, people (arborists, rock climbers, abseil), die every year from their own made gear failing- but there are thousands every year that don’t…. As long as you’re doing it correctly….

I splice and sew my own slings and loops, and would gladly bet anyone a handsome sum that if I sent them in to Sherill to get tested, none would fail below 85% rope test. Any takers?

Bango Skank

Bango Skank

ArboristSite Operative
So easy to splice HRC, BeeLine, and UltraTech though. Under the cover, those are all just hollow 12 strands.

Personal preference I guess, but I like naked eye splices more than sewn eyes.

gschwartzenberger

gschwartzenberger

The OP's second try doesn't look too bad. Now I do think that since very few people try to stitch anything themselves - that is why so many are poo-pooing the idea. The way I see it, arborists are constantly doing things themselves that if done improperly, result in a fall, death etc. Just the way it is. I am a rigging engineer who frequents nuclear, DOD and DOE jobsites. We take rigging procedures and requirements to the extreme. On some lifts we have single-failure-proof cranes and rigging or else go to 10:1 rigging safety factors. No one goes under a load let alone reach under one. All sorts of stuff. But I go home and can be hanging from a single part of 7/16" rope. A single carabiner, single pulley or many other possibilities. Often one failure away from falling on my head. Certainly makes you think twice until you get used to it and/or start coming up with ways to add redundancy.

If I ever get around to playing with sewn splices, I'll dissect a known good splice, count stitches, measure thread dia. etc. Watch videos, do some reading, buy the best thread there is then give it a try. Doesn't mean I'll go around selling spliced gear but my stitching is going to be the least of my worries. That said, I'd probably rig up to a couple trees and do my own pull test to see if I need to dial in my process. I have a 10,000# digital load cell and plenty of real rigging to break a small rope and not get whipped. In rigging we use off-the-shelf equipment when available. If not then we do our homework and design up what we need. Fabricate, load test, go to work.