Grooving tires, chainsaw style

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan'smilling

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
On another forum (tractorbynet) there's some good information about increasing the snow performance of R4 industrial tractor tires by grooving them. R4sc have a big footprint and don't have an aggressive tread pattern, so they mostly just spin on snow and ice.

For deep snow, ag tires are much better, or tires with chains, but on packed snow and ice apparently turf tires are the best (barring chains or studs). The reason is that the small grooves in the turf tires get packed with snow which then provides good traction on the ice or packed snow.

My little 29 HP New Holland with a light back blade is my primary snow removal machine. It works pretty good. I put truckchains on the front tires and some weights up front (no loader). I don't have and don't want to buy chains for the rear, so I took some advice I've seen on TBN. I grooved the tires. The grooves allow for performance more like a turf tire. Most people recommend a heated grooving iron, but I didn't want to spend $100 on something I only need one time.

So, I fired up the Dolmar 421 with a 12" bar and a newish loop of VXL, and went to town. Obviously I was worried about cutting toodeep and ruining the tire, but the rubber cut easily and didn't try to pull the chain in at all.

Too early to vouch for the results, but itdidn't cost me much to try. Many people swear by grooving their tires, so I figure it's worth a shot. Only took about 10-15 minutes per tire.
rps20161226_145829_973.jpg rps20161226_145846_220.jpg rps20161226_145903_708.jpg rps20161226_145925_192.jpg

Well, that's certainly different! I've had a Kioti LK3054 with industrial tread tires (filled in the rear) for about 12 years. They are not great on some snow surfaces for sure. I'm not sure I could take a chainsaw to them though!

Well, that's certainly different! I've had a Kioti LK3054 with industrial tread tires (filled in the rear) for about 12 years. They are not great on some snow surfaces for sure. I'm not sure I could take a chainsaw to them though!

Honestly, it was easy. I was concerned about wrecking the tires, but with a light saw and short bar, it was easy to control. Now, everyone has a different level of control and ability, so I am not personally recommending this to anyone, but in my opinion, it wasn't tough to do or dangerous to the tire.

Ill have to take a pic, bit my dad cut all of our pulling tires for our quarter scale pulling tractors using a electric john deere chainsaw, then finished up with a belt sander. They look amazing even double cut them and tied the lugs together in the middle to resemble the real **** cepek giant pullers. Nobody would believe him they were cut with a chainsaw!

That will definately help you, it just like all the siping on a car tire, you've just introduced another biting edge on every lug.

Ill have to take a pic, bit my dad cut all of our pulling tires for our quarter scale pulling tractors using a electric john deere chainsaw, then finished up with a belt sander. They look amazing even double cut them and tied the lugs together in the middle to resemble the real **** cepek giant pullers. Nobody would believe him they were cut with a chainsaw!
I concur! It works well

Latest posts

Back