Ground Breaking and Tree Killing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Yesterday, the ground was leveled for my little forest chateau. I had 3 additonal trees cut that were on the west side. There's root rot there. I'll go to a tree sale and get some Western Redcedar. It grows well on this site.
The excavator operator used to be a hooktender but went into business for himself. He's very good. He limbed one of the standing cedars with his machine. When I grabbed the Barbie Saw to cut the limbs up smaller, Barbie flooded! Of course, there were people watching. The Used Dog complained. He was confined to the back of the pickup with a squeak ball.

Here's my future house and Cedar tree farm.
attachment.php

The Best Part? It is up on a ridge top, NO FLOOD WORRIES!:clap:

Beautiful!! I am jealous as hell! Money pit or not it will turn out to quite the loaction for a new home. You won't see views like that here in good ol' NE Indiana.:cry:

Nice flat buildig site. Cool! My advice is to cut every tree that can reach the house, or will reach the house in the future. No time like now to do that. Also, it looks like a power box next to the transit? Cut any trees near that...I didn't, and now have a major issue with a big ugly fir tree...

Septic? Water?

sweet looking lot...

Nice flat buildig site. Cool! My advice is to cut every tree that can reach the house, or will reach the house in the future. No time like now to do that. Also, it looks like a power box next to the transit? Cut any trees near that...I didn't, and now have a major issue with a big ugly fir tree...

Septic? Water?

Most likely the operator will have dug a test pit first thing to determine any ground water issues and perk,determining the size of the leach field.
Trees are a wonderfull thing,but so is not having blowdowns.
Forgot how tree like alders grow down there compared to the alder bushes around here.
Are the olympics east or south of you slowp?

ak4195

Septic? Water?

Great advice!!

Beautiful!! I am jealous as hell! Money pit or not it will turn out to quite the loaction for a new home. You won't see views like that here in good ol' NE Indiana.:cry:

Same thing in the other corner of the state.

Looks great!!!!

Anwsers:

There was originally an old single wide trailer and Dr. Suess style addition on that spot. So, there's a permitted septic, well, power, phone and large shop building already there.

The Olympics are Northwest of here. What you see in the background is Kiona Peak. Unfortunately, sunlight is a precious thing here, so the house is oriented East West and with a deck on the South. That view is dead north but can be enjoyed from the doors of the shop. The house is going to be simple and one story. We have earthquakes and volcanic eruptions here, and floods. :eek:

Anwsers:

There was originally an old single wide trailer and Dr. Suess style addition on that spot. So, there's a permitted septic, well, power, phone and large shop building already there.

The Olympics are Northwest of here. What you see in the background is Kiona Peak. Unfortunately, sunlight is a precious thing here, so the house is oriented East West and with a deck on the South. That view is dead north but can be enjoyed from the doors of the shop. The house is going to be simple and one story. We have earthquakes and volcanic eruptions here, and floods. :eek:

K,for some reason thought you were out towards Forks or on the Coast.Modern construction methods will handle most very good sized earthquakes(cept of course for the big one when the San juan fault slips and the Olympic peninsula slides into the Pacific,causing cold sea water to hit that freshly exposed hot magma from the center of the earth.And of course sending the WHOLE world into a global ice age!).
My house easily rode out a 7.6 magnitude a few years ago,lasted at least 1 min long! I was bucking wood on the log pile and couldnt figure out why I was so dizzy.Stopped the saw and looked up at my ex,who was jumping up and down on the front porch trying to get my attn.
Pretty impressive to see your house roll around back and forth.

ak4195

That's a great building site: flat, top of a ridge, no flooding, great views. :clap::clap::clap: Be sure to keep us updated with pics as you are building. <raising a beer to Slowp> :cheers:
Dok

Ditto. Great looking site slowp!

Nice. Water, power, and septic done. That's a major hurdle right there.

Got house plans?

Yup. Originally, the plan was to go manufactured. But I found a simple plan in a book and then finally heard of a good local builder. I talked to him and his wife, he worked up an estimate, and it came real close to what the manufactured house would be and included deck construction and woodstove. It'll be 3 bedroom, 2 bath and 1400 square feet. The book plan would not have met code here, so I had a designer guy draw up plans. We have earthquake requirements that the book plan didn't meet. It'll be well insulated so I shouldn't need as much firewood. Let me put it this way, I won't need as much firewood. I've been renting a 1600 sq.ft. drafty 1950s
house with a fireplace insert. The insert burns wood like paper. It'll bed nice to have 3 prong outlets that don't arc when you plug something in.:greenchainsaw:

The shop is 900sq ft with one of the doors being truck size so I can drive in with a kayak still on the car. It is uninsulated, just metal. The mice love it.

Back