ground protection

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maggies dad

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
just wondering what yall use to protect the lawn when you are chunking the trunk? I got a 80ft pine limbed and topped this evening and just need to chunk it out tomorrow, it is around 16 to 20 inch wood where Iam at and was wondering about tires or something like that to chunk it onto. If the old lady would just let me unscrew a section of her white picket fence I could fell the whole deal and be done, but she wont and that is what it is.
thanks guys,

PS pine sucks!!!!
every piece of equip I own is covered in sap,
my split tail and rope have so much on them that
I cant even get my distel to run.:greenchainsaw:

just wondering what yall use to protect the lawn when you are chunking the trunk? I got a 80ft pine limbed and topped this evening and just need to chunk it out tomorrow, it is around 16 to 20 inch wood where Iam at and was wondering about tires or something like that to chunk it onto. If the old lady would just let me unscrew a section of her white picket fence I could fell the whole deal and be done, but she wont and that is what it is.
thanks guys,

PS pine sucks!!!!
every piece of equip I own is covered in sap,
my split tail and rope have so much on them that
I cant even get my distel to run.:greenchainsaw:

If its my job and they won't let me take down a measly fence it becomes " not my job".

But THAT is a b%$##@. Why the heck not? tell her you accept responsiblity and its usuall to do it.

I just fill the holes and toss down some seed and say" thanks, see ya later".

Sometimes they have dirt you can use around the property.

I don't know what would be worse fixing the holes or trying to clean up what is left of what you were chunking things on. Try to land things horizontal intead of spearing into the ground. It can't always be done AND you are there to make a mess but that is why i keep soil on hand... as well as fence parts.

Thanks for the ideals, I was laying it down on the limb pile before I left, but I put a "small divit" in the yard as the sun was setting, by small I mean about the size of a 2qt milk pail. I was gassed so I called it a day.I thought about rigging it down but I dont think my equip will handle it, will a 1600 lb sling handle a 24" section of long leaf pine rigged of the stem? I dont have any other trees, cell towers, tv antennas, or telephone poles to rig off of.:jawdrop: Before I get my butt ate out no I would never rig off of a tv antenna. I have never done a full take down on a pine before, because We just dont have them around here, so I have learned alot on this job. I guess that is one good thing about this job. I just want this lady happy cause the neighbor has been out side watching me all day and wants me to bid some work for him aswell.
Thanks for all the help guys,

the smart thing to do is lay the chunks down flat on the pile of brush that you made around the tree from limbing it
or a sling and pulley and rig the pieces down, this is time consuming but worth it in the long run if people are picky about their lawn, I have even laid out large tarps to keep the lawn looking fresh, of course these things make the price go up a bit.

that 1600lb deal will work but keep the pieces short, at 24" dia you are looking at probably 100 to 120 pounds for every 1 foot of length then add the shock load in there.

Last edited:
thanks treeman, I think I will give it ago with the block and just rig it all down, it will thke awhile but atleast she wont be whining about it.:clap:

Yep, I used the porta wrap To get the limbs down, and out from over the house and fence, I guess it will get a good work out in the morning.

50% of our big take downs are pines. Sap is standard in our gear.

I have had the thought a few times of making a collapsing air filled crash pad like stuntmen use, using blowers to keep it inflated and have ridged sides to keep the bomb contained when dropping on sloped ground (a common problem for us).

So many crazy ideas........

Maggies dad,

Got an old 3/8" thick rubber bed mat for a pick-up truck lying around? They are also dead cheap now that the spray-in bed liners have proven to be the way to go, like $40 -$50.

On it's own, the bed mat will still allow some really mild divots, so I lay a couple sheets of plywood down, mat on top of that. Mat protects the plywood from busting up. This is only for clients that absolutely will not tolerate a divot, and a spar I'm not 100% sure about square rigging off of. And their lawn had bloody well be perfect if they're that fussy, the plywood still won't take the abuse forever.

Old tires seemed like a good idea to me once, but that will launch the chunks god knows where like an uneven trampoline.

You say your sling is only rated for 1600lbs? 1600lbs breaking strength? That's pretty cheesy. I'd be finding something a bit more stout to hang the block off of than that.

RedlineIt

We sometimes will lay down the mats we have for the trucks to go across, in the spot where we are bombing pieces down. They are made out of 1/2 thick plastic, 4'x8' in size. They have a diamond plate style pattern on them to give you grip. Each bucket truck carries 20 of them in a specially designed rack. They really save the lawn if you have to drive equipment across them, and they do take the abuse off dropping things on them pretty well. I believe they are made by Alturnamats. Otherwise we always will just rig it down, with high rated bull lines and a porta wrap set up running through a high rated block on the spar. I personally like rigging things down if no damage can be done, as long as I have someone good running the lowering line. Just make sure your equipment is rated to take the shock load of the piece you are dropping.

No that sling is not strong enough. Get an arborist block like the CMI 5/8" stainless. $101 in sherrill and a 12' sling about $50. tie a cow hitch and you can lower wood on up to a 5/8 rope which will do just about anything you might want to attempt. Make sure you and your crew practice on smaller stuff first. Sounds like you did some lowering with the branches so you have some experience in this department. The plywood will get destroyed quickly. Good luck, be safe and have fun...... Mike

P.S. I understand about the sap, We took down a 32" pine earlier this week and took down a 30" spruce today so I have been covered all week.... Had to cut 12' off my climbing line because it was totally gummed up. YUCK!

Its done! I rigged down the top 20ft to get it short enough to fit in the yard, then placed all of it along the "landing zone" made a face cut double checked my aim,( only about 4ft wide in landing area due to side walk and fence.) Then down she went. I ended up with 3 small divits and that was it. I told the lady that I would fill them with top soil, and she said that she was so happy that the tree was gone that she didnt care and that we did an excellent job. Iam going to get a heavier sling, I just was tight on money when I got that one. I enjoyed this job and learned alot, and Thank all of you guys for the help and insight. I was wondering how to get some of the sap off of my flip line? It will no longer go thru my rope grab to adjust. Are all pine trees this sappy, or did I just get a jem? I cut a branch yesterday and the crazy thing bled sap like your finger when you slip with your pocket knife.
Thanks again guys, Have a great day!

Latest posts

Back